Alba Raquel Barros
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification, as it includes attribution to IMDb. (May 2011)|
|Alba Raquel Barros|
14 December 1952 |
Santurce, Puerto Rico
|Occupation||actress, comedian, dancer|
Alba Raquel Barros (born 14 December 1952 in Santurce, Puerto Rico) is an actress, comedian, and dancer. She is better known for her acting career, and she has won many national awards for her work, both in the television and theatrical fields.
Barros participated in a rendition of Tennessee Williams' A Streetcar Named Desire as a student at the University of Puerto Rico (UPR). She graduated with a degree in Theatre from the UPR in 1974.
By the early 1980s, she had moved to WAPA-TV, where she acted in some of that channel's most famous shows, including 1982's soap, Yo Sé Que Mentía (I know he was lying), with Iris Chacón, the mini series, Las Divorciadas, (The Divorced Women), with Sonia Noemí and Maribella Garcia, as well as 1984's sitcom, Barrio Cuatro Calles. In the latter comedy she played a Puerto Rican girl who had been born in New York City therefore she used an Americanized, or Nuyorican, accent. She played the wife of Miguel Ángel Álvarez, who played a bakery owner. They played opposite legendary Cuban actor Leopoldo Fernández and Yazmín Mejías.
The famous Chilean show host and producer, Don Francisco has invited Barros many times to his Univision show Sábado Gigante. Barros has participated as a comedian a number of times on that television show.
Barros' acting career has not been limited to television and theater, however, as she has participated in a number of Puerto Rico's most important productions of all times, including Nicolas y los demas (Nicholas and the others), directed by and starred Jacobo Morales, Héroes de Otra Patria (Heroes for Another Nation, which protested the participation of Puerto Ricans in the United States military, particularly during the Vietnam War era), and Los Diaz de Doris.
- Outstanding comedy actress of the year (Puerto Rico, 1985)
- Comedian of the year (Puerto Rico, 1986)
- Best female actress (Puerto Rico, 1986)
- Best soap opera starring role (Puerto Rico, 1987)
- Best actress (Puerto Rico, 1988)
- Best actress in a supporting role, Critics Circle Award Theater of Puerto Rico (Puerto Rico, 1990)
|Streetcar named Desire||play||1972||Stella Kowalski||University of Puerto Rico production|
|El ídolo||telenovela||1980||WKAQ-TV series starred José Luis Rodríguez|
|Yo Sé Que Mentía||telenovela||1982|
|Barrio Cuatro Calles||sitcom||1984|||
|Padres de hoy||miniseries||1985|||
|Nicolás y Los Demás (An ordinary Day)||film||1986||María||Directed by and starred Jacobo Morales|
|Camino Negro||play||1987||Myrna||Centro de Bellas Artes production|
|Tres destinos||telenovela||1993||Genie Montalvo also appeared|
|Orinoco||play||1993||Mina||play by Emilio Carballido performed at Centro de Bellas Artes|
|El Callejón de los Cuernos||television special||1998||WAPA-TV|
|Nueva Yol 3||film||1997|||
|La Clase del 69||play||1997||Gloria||Centro de Bellas Artes production|
|Esperando al Italiano||play||1997||Centro de Bellas Artes production|
|Héroes de Otra Patria||film||1998||Pura Torres|||
|Los Díaz de Doris||film||1999||Myrna|
|Entre los Dioses del Desprecio||film||2000|||
|Second Honeymoon||television film||2001||Louisa|||
|A 2.50 la Cuba Libre||play||2002||Ibrahim Guerra play appeared in Miami (with Hoy Como Ayer) and in New York|
|Ángel Rebelde||telenovela||2004||Simona Ramirez|||
|Habla y Habla||television documentary||2006||self|
|El Rostro de Analía||telenovela||2008–2009||Dionisia Valdez|
|One Hot Summer||television film||2009||Elder Lady 1|
|Alguien Te Mira||telenovela||2010||Yoyita|||
|En Otra Piel||telenovela||2014||Doña Lupe|||
- "Alba Raquel Barros". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 21 May 2011.
- "<Alba Raquel Barros>" (in Spanish). Fundación Nacional para la Cultura Popular. Retrieved 2011-06-09.
- "Caicedo Productions". Retrieved 2011-06-08.
- "Alba-Raquel". Ladrones Y Mentirosos (film). Retrieved 2011-06-09.
- Héroes de Otra Patria at the Internet Movie Database
- "Alba Raquel Barros". NYTimes.com Movies & TV. All Movie Guide and Baseline via The New York Times. Retrieved 2011-06-09.
- "TV Novellas - Alguien Te Mira" (in Spanish). Retrieved 2011-06-10.
- "En Otra Piel (TV Series)". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 22 May 2014.