José Luis Rodríguez (singer)
|José Luis Rodríguez|
"El Puma" aka "The Cougar" in 2012
|Birth name||José Luis Rodríguez Gónzalez|
|Also known as||El Puma, El capitán, El grande|
14 January 1943 |
|Genres||Ballad, Bolero, Latin pop|
|Occupation(s)||Singer, Record producer, Actor, Entrepreneur|
|Labels||Velvet, TopHits, RCA, Polydor, Sony BMG|
|Associated acts||Mirla Castellanos, Ilan Chester, Estela Raval, Vikki Carr|
José Luis Rodríguez González, nicknamed El Puma (Cougar) (Spanish pronunciation: [xoseˈlwiz roˈðɾiɣes]; 14 January 1943), is a Venezuelan singer and actor who is known for having recorded many international super hits and participated in a handful of telenovelas. He also served as a coach and mentor on the Peruvian and Argentine version of The Voice.
Life and career
José Luis Rodríguez was born in Caracas, Venezuela to José Antonio Rodríguez from the Canary Islands, Spain and Ana González a Venezuelan housewife. He lost his father at the age of six, and was raised by his mother (an illiterate then, learned to read as an adult in order to read the Bible) along with 11 brothers and sisters. He grew up in very modest conditions, having to shine shoes, and pack bags in a supermarket for a living at an early age. Without an academic formation, he shaped himself as a singer and actor by empirical means.
As his mother participated in the revolt against Marcos Pérez Jiménez (holding weapons and hiding politicians in her home), Rodríguez lived in exile in Ecuador with her and his brother, for a couple of years.
Rodríguez surfaced in his homeland in the late 1960s and early 1970s, and was able to build a fan base there. He also participated in a famous commercial, along with his family during that time. Rodríguez went to Puerto Rico, where he participated in the Telenovela Cristina Bazán, alongside Johanna Rosaly and young Adamari López. It was whilst there that he received his nickname, El Puma. Later, he also made the telenovela, El ídolo, with Cuban actress Marylin Pupo, playing Omar Contreras (a.k.a. El Puma).
Rodríguez's main money revenue, however, was his singing career. His hits included Dueño de nada, Pavo real and Agárrense de las manos. With the second, he caused controversy at the 1982 contest of Miss Universe, which was being held in Atlanta, a city in the Southern United States; the song's main issue was interracial marriage.
Later, Rodríguez participated in the Spanish version of Meet the Robinsons, La Familia del Futuro, as Wilbur Robinson's father. El Puma also starred in an advertising campaign for Wrigley's Eclipse gum, with the spot drawing on his persona, using humor and kitsch to highlight the tagline, "Libera el Puma que hay en tí" (Free the puma within).
In May 2009, Rodriguez joined the cast of the miniseries, Gabriel, produced for the Hispanic audience in the United States by Megafilms and transmitted by Mega TV. The miniseries, released in November of the same year is based on the themes of vampirism and ocultism.
In July 2012 he was a judge and voice trainer on La Voz... Argentina (Argentine version of The Voice) that was broadcast on Telefe. Along with co-presenters Fernán Martínez and Carolina Ramírez, he served as a judge on a dance programme called La Pista which was aired on Caracol TV in Colombia.
In August 2013, Rodríguez was part of the first season of La Voz Perú, where he was coach for one of the four teams. On December 20 one of his pupils, young Daniel Lazo, placed first in the competition, making Rodríguez the first winning coach in the history of La Voz Perú.
Rodríguez was married to Lila Morillo and is the father of actresses Lilibeth Morillo, Liliana Rodriguez, and Génesis Rodríguez. Although never legally recognized, he is believed to be the father of Juan José Rodríguez; a salsa singer that followed in the career footsteps of José Luis and goes by the nickname "El Pumita."
Select album discography
- 1974: Mi Fe
- 1975: Los Temas De Mis Telenovelas
- 1976: Una Nueva Canción
- 1977: Una Canción De España (TH/Top Hits)
- 1977: Jose Luis De América
- 1979: Voy A Perder La Cabeza
- 1980: Atrévete
- 1980: Cantando Éxitos De Siempre (Discos CBS International)
- 1982: La Historia Del Idolo
- 1982: Dueño De Nada
- 1983: Ven CBS Columbia
- 1984: Voy A Conquistarte (Discos CBS International)
- 1984: Due Come Noi (Discos CBS International)
- 1985: El Último Beso (Discos CBS International)
- 1987: Señor Corazón
- 1988: Con El Mariachi Vargas
- 1989: Tengo Derecho A Ser Feliz
- 1989: Las 15 Grandes De El Puma
- 1990: Serie De Colección
- 1990: 12 Grandes Éxitos
- 1990: Esta Vez
- 1990: Senora Bonita
- 1991: El Puma En Ritmo
- 1992: Piel Ee Hombre
- 1993: Querido Puma
- 1994: Razones Para Una Sonrisa
- 1995: Boleros De Siempre Con José Luis Rodríguez
- 1996: Llamada Del Amor
- 1996: Joyas Musicales
- 1996: Lo Mejor De José Luis Rodríguez
- 1997: Que Quiere Esa Musica Esta Noche
- 1997: Inólvidable
- 1999: En Ritmo 2: Fiesta
- 2000: Serie Millennium 21
- 2000: Mis 30 Mejores
- 2001: Inolvidable, Vol. 3
- 2002: Mis 30 Mejores Canciones Con Los Panchos
- 2002: Champagne
- 2002: Serie De Autores, Vol. 1: Manuel Alejandro
- 2002: Serie De Autores, Vol. 3: P. Herrero y J.L. Armenteros
- 2002: Serie De Autores, Vol. 4: Chema Puron
- 2002: Serie De Autores, Vol. 5 Chema Puron
- 2002: Mujer
- 2004: Mi Historia
- 2005: Distancia
- 2005: Sabor A México
- 2005: Mis 30 Mejores Canciones
- 2006: Canciones De Amor
- 2006: Ayer Y Hoy
- 2006: 15 Éxitos
- 2007: Trópico
- 2007: Homenaje a José Alfredo Jiménez
- 2008: Interpreta A Manuel Alejandro
- 2009: Los Grandes Del Amor
- 2009: Mi Amigo El Puma
- Sueño Contigo
- Sangre Azul
- Señorita Elena
- Simplemente María
- El ídolo
- La Hija de Juana Crespo
- Trópico (2007) as Guillermo Guzmán
- Piel (1992) as Vicente
- Cristina Bazán
- Una Muchacha Llamada Milagros
- Music of Venezuela (Musica Llanera)
- on YouTube
- ""El Puma" se une al elenco de esperada miniserie". hispanicprwire.com. 13 May 2008. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
- "Lo pensé dos segundos y dije que sí". television.com.ar. Retrieved October 21, 2013.
- ""La Voz": 'El Puma', Kalimba, Jerry Rivera y Eva Ayllón serán los entrenadores". El Comercio. 8 August 2013.
- "Daniel Lazo es el flamante ganador de "La voz Perú"". 21 December 2013.
- López Gonzales, Janet (18 September 2013). "José Luis Rodríguez: "Sigo vigente en los escenarios"". La República. Retrieved 25 December 2013.
- ""El Puma" dice que no graba discos por culpa de la piratería". El Espectador. 18 September 2013. Retrieved 19 September 2013.