Ma was born in 1978. Ma became interested in visual effects at a young age, influenced by the Star Wars film series and Wing Commander III: Heart of the Tiger, a video game released in 1994. He completed his bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees at National Taiwan University. With the help of the Graduate Student Study Abroad Program of Taiwan's National Science Council. Ma went to the University of Southern California in 2005, completing his studies under Paul Debevec at the Institute for Creative Technologies. Since obtaining his doctorate, Ma has worked for Activision and Google.
In 2019, Debevec's research team, including Ma, were jointly awarded an Academy Award for Technical Achievement for the development of the Polarized Spherical Gradient Illumination, a facial appearance capture and modeling technology used in several films.
- Lu, Chih-Fang (18 June 2019). "Meet Alex Ma, the Second Taiwanese Oscar-Winner". CommonWealth Magazine. Retrieved 18 June 2019.
- "Taiwanese software engineer transforms movie industry". Central News Agency. Retrieved 18 February 2019.
- "Engineer awarded Oscar for facial capture technology". Taipei Times. 20 February 2019. Retrieved 20 February 2019.
- "Wan-Chun Alex Ma". Research Gate. Retrieved 18 February 2019.
- "Wan-Chun Alex Ma". LinkedIn. Retrieved 18 February 2019.
- Alex Ma at IMDb
- Alex Ma publications indexed by Google Scholar
- Publications by Alex Ma at ResearchGate