Alexander W. Weddell
Weddell was born in Richmond, Virginia, and attended George Washington University. On May 31, 1923, he married a wealthy widow, Virginia Chase Steedman. He served as president of the Virginia Historical Society from 1943 until his death.
Weddell was the author or editor of several books, including:
- A Memorial Volume of Virginia Historical Portraiture (1930)
- Richmond, Virginia, in Old Prints (1932)
- Introduction to Argentina (1939)
- Portraiture in the Virginia Historical Society (1945)
The Weddells' Richmond home, Virginia House, was constructed from material from an older house located in Priory Park, Warwick, England. He purchased the Warwick property in 1926 and transported it over two years later. The rebuilt house now belongs to the Virginia Historical Society and is open to the public.
- Feis, Herbert (1948). The Spanish Story. Franco and the Nations at War. On his role as ambassador to Spain. Alfred A. Knopf.
- Virginius Cornick Hall Jr., Portraits in the Collection of the Virginia Historical Society (1981), pp. 254–255. ISBN 0-8139-0813-2.