Allen Central High School
|Allen Central High School|
|442 KY Rt. 550
Eastern, Kentucky, (Floyd County) 41622
|School type||State School, Public Secondary School|
|School district||Floyd County Schools|
|NCES District ID||2101950|
|NCES School ID||210195000404|
|Faculty||29.50 (on an FTE basis) |
|Gender||205 Male : 173 Female|
|• Grade 9||87 |
|• Grade 10||92 |
|• Grade 11||92 |
|• Grade 12||105 |
|• Special education||2|
|Student to teacher ratio||14.00 |
|Classes offered||Listed Below|
|Schedule||Monday - Friday|
|Hours in school day||7|
Columbia blue and grey with dark red
|Team name||Fighting Rebels|
|Yearbook||The Floyd Countian|
|Feeder schools||Allen Central Middle School, James A. Duff Elementary, May Valley Elementary|
Allen Central High School (Allen Central, Central, or ACHS) is a Title I secondary school located in Eastern, Floyd County, Kentucky, United States, and is one of four public high schools in the Floyd County School system. The school colors were Columbia blue and gray; however, over time dark red has been added.
Built in the late 1960s, the first principal at Allen Central was Dave Hensley. After his death, a bridge that carries Kentucky Route 80 in front of Allen Central Middle School and Hensley's former home was renamed the Dave Hensley Memorial Bridge.
The nickname of Allen Central is Rebels. American football games are played on Rebel Field. Basketball, volleyball and archery are played in the J. H. Campbell Gymnasium. The school plays host to many county and district tournaments due to its centralized location.
In 2014, plans were made to consolidate Allen Central and South Floyd High School into a new Floyd Central High School, located near the Allen Central campus. The new school is expected to open in the fall of 2017. At that time, Allen Central will be converted into a technical education hub for the Floyd County school district, while South Floyd High will be converted to an elementary school.
Mascot and flag scandals
For the past 34 years,[when?] the school has displayed symbols of the Confederate States of America. A Confederate flag was displayed in the school gymnasium as recently as January 2007, and the school mascot is a Confederate soldier who, as of late 2006, appeared on a sign at the entrance to the school. A nearby courtyard has blue brick forming the Cross of St. Andrew, and a mural in the lobby shows a rebel soldier carrying the flag on horseback. Other images of rebel soldiers and Confederate flags cover the same walls. The images have stoked controversy, since many consider them to be racist symbols, whether in Floyd County, in Kentucky, and elsewhere, although there is also support in the county for retaining the symbols.
Allen Central adopted the school flag and mascot in 1972, when four other schools were consolidated to form the high school. Students formed a committee and chose the mascot. The four previous schools and their mascots were the Maytown Wildcats, the Garrett Black Devils, the Wayland Wasps and the Martin Purple Flash.
Allen Central High School provides 33 main courses along with participation in the Floyd County Early College Academy. They include:
English Language Arts: English I, English II, English III, English IV, English Communications
Foreign languages: Spanish I, Spanish II
On-campus college credit classes: College Algebra, College Precalculus, English 100, English 200, Music 100
- "Search for Public School Districts – District Detail for Floyd County". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved December 9, 2012.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Allen Central High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved December 9, 2012.
- "ACHS Faculty & Staff". Archived from the original on 15 December 2013. Retrieved December 9, 2012.
- "2015–2016 Audited School Enrollments (in alphabetical order)" (PDF). Kentucky High School Athletic Association. Retrieved October 24, 2016.
- Meadows, Mary (May 12, 2016). "Floyd Central Construction Ahead of Schedule". Floyd County Chronicle. Prestonsburg, KY. Archived from the original on 24 October 2016. Retrieved October 24, 2016.
- "David-ACHS game postponed again", The Floyd County Times January 21, 2007, (accessed August 4, 2007)
- "Confederate symbols abide", Cincinnati Enquirer, December 10, 2006
-  The Associated Press, "Ky. students embrace Confederate mascot, flag despite controversy", December 9, 2006, as published on the web site of The First Amendment Center, based in Arlington, Virginia (accessed August 4, 2007)
-  Prater, Kathy J., "Debate over Confederate flag continues", The Floyd County Times, January 24, 2007 (accessed August 4, 2007)
- "Floyd Country School District - Early College Academy". floyd.schoolfusion.us. Floyd County Schools. Archived from the original on 20 June 2015.
- "Allen Central High School". Archived from the original on 29 June 2006. Retrieved 2006-08-12.
- "Our Rebel Years Allen Central High School". Retrieved 2006-09-30.
- Eastern Kentucky students hold onto Confederate school symbols
- "Kentucky Department of Education". Archived from the original on 9 August 2006. Retrieved 2006-08-12.