Alternative modeling is a branch of the modeling industry that features models who do not conform to mainstream ideals of beauty. Alternative models are often niche-specific, with a personal style that represents subcultures like goth, steampunk, and fetishism. An alternative model may, for example, be tattooed, pierced, or have other body modifications, have distinctively subcultural hair such as being shaved, dyed a distinctively unnatural color, or styled into a mohawk or dreadlocks. Alternative modeling can be clothed or unclothed.
Alternative modeling was given substantial mainstream media coverage in the last decade, partly through the creation and popularization of community-based alternative modeling paysites, like GodsGirls and SuicideGirls. Alternative modeling community sites usually promote their models for their personality as well as for their looks and portfolio.
Alternative models are often employed to promote niche products, either in shops or online, particular subcultural clothing shops and websites.
- Alternative culture
- Model (profession)
- Fetish model
- Morgan Joyce, a notable model
- Billi Gordon, a notable model
- Anita De Bauch, a notable model, author of 'The "Ugly" Girl's Guide to Modelling'
- Masuimi Max, a notable model & entrepreneur, owner of I am Sin (cosmetic company)
- Mosh, a notable model
- Ulorin Vex, a notable model
- Dita Von Teese, a notable model, costume designer, author, actress, singer, & entrepreneur
- Kato, a notable model, designer, & entrepreneur
- The Alternative Model Directory, an online directory of alternative models from all over the globe.
- Bauch, Anita De (2015-02-09). The "Ugly" Girl's Guide to Modelling. Worksop: New Haven Publishing Ltd. ISBN 9780957517097.
- "The Model Mayhem interview: Masuimi Max". 2014-03-29. Retrieved 2016-09-08.
- Mallein, Jack. "Masuimi Max Interview". www.sinicalmagazine.com. Retrieved 2016-09-08.
- Mosh - Mosh Interview - IGN Video, retrieved 2016-09-08
- "The Model Mayhem interview: Mosh". 2013-04-19. Retrieved 2016-09-08.
- "The Model Mayhem interview: Ulorin Vex". 2013-01-11. Retrieved 2016-09-08.
- Stygion, Danny. "Ulorin Vex Interview". www.sinicalmagazine.com. Retrieved 2016-09-08.
|This photography-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|