Ana María Martínez
Ana María Martínez
|Birth name||Ana María Martínez Colón|
|Born||1971 (age 48–49)|
San Juan, Puerto Rico
|Occupation(s)||Opera singer (soprano)|
Martínez was born in San Juan, Puerto Rico; she is the daughter of Puerto Rican opera singer Evangelína Colón and Cuban psychoanalyst Ángel Martínez. Martínez' grandparents originated in Spain and France, and migrated to the Caribbean islands. Martínez grew up with a strict Catholic upbringing. She briefly attended the Boston Conservatory as a musical theater major, but dropped out and later received a bachelor's degree and a master's degree from the Juilliard School.
She returned to Così fan tutte as Fiordiligi at Lyric Opera of Chicago in February 2018. In April, she took up the title role in Florencia en el Amazonas at Florida Grand Opera. In July she performed in Falstaff at Royal Opera House as Alice Ford. She portrayed Élisabeth de Valois in Don Carlos opening on 22 September at Los Angeles Opera.
In January 2019 she brought performances of Florencia to Houston Grand Opera. In February she was appointed Houston Grand Opera's first-ever artistic advisor. In May she portrayed Soleá in El gato montés at Los Angeles Opera.
Martínez has won prizes including the Pepita Embil Award, Operalia, and first prize at the Eleanor McCollum Awards. She won a Latin Grammy in 2001 for Classical Album for Isaac Albéniz's Merlin with Carlos Álvarez, Plácido Domingo, Jane Henschel and conductor José de Eusebio with the Orquesta Sinfónica de Madrid.
- Glass: La Belle et la Bête, Nonesuch, 1995
- Sheng: The Song of Majnun – A Persian Romeo and Juliet, Delos, 1997
- Albéniz: Merlin, Decca, 2000
- Glass: Symphony No. 5, Nonesuch, 2000
- Bacalov: Misa Tango, Deutsche Grammophon, 2000
- American Dream: Andrea Bocelli's Statue of Liberty Concert, (TV/DVD) WNET/THIRTEEN, 2000
- Glass: Philip on Film, (Box Set) Nonesuch, 2001
- Rodrigo: 100 Años – La Obra Vocal, I y II, EMI, 2002
- Rodrigo: 100 Años – La Obra Vocal, IV y V, EMI, 2002
- Introducing the World of American Jewish Music for the Milken Archive of American Jewish Music, Naxos, 2003
- Castelnuovo-Tedesco: Naomi and Ruth, Naxos, 2003
- Spanish Night from the Berlin Waldbühne, (DVD) with Plácido Domingo and Sarah Chang, Naxos, 2003
- Albéniz: Henry Clifford, Decca, 2003
- Catan: Florencia en el Amazonas, Albany, 2003
- Levy: Masada (Canto de Los Marranos) for the Milken Archive of American Jewish Music, Naxos, 2004
- Weisgall: T'Kiatot: Rituals for Rosh Hashana, Naxos, 2004
- Soprano Songs and Arias: Ana María Martínez, Naxos, 2005
- American Classics – Beveridge/Marriner for the Milken Archive of American Jewish Music, Naxos, 2005
- Mercurio: Many Voices, Sony, 2006
- Mozart: Così fan tutte, (DVD) Decca, 2007
- Leoncavallo: Pagliacci, Decca, 2007
- Amor, Vida de mi Vida, (DVD) with Plácido Domingo, Euroarts, 2009
- Dvorak: Rusalka, Glyndebourne, 2010
- Concerto: One Night in Central Park with Andrea Bocelli (TV/DVD/CD) WNET / THIRTEEN, 2011
- Manon Lescaut with Andrea Bocelli, Plácido Domingo conducting, Decca 2014
- "Evangelina Colón". Fundación Nacional para la Cultura Popular. San Juan, Puerto Rico. 25 June 2014. Retrieved 2017-03-18.
- von Rhein, John (January 16, 2013). "'La Boheme' star Ana Maria Martinez is no diva offstage". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 2017-03-18.
- Feature Opera Lady Ana María Martínez Archived March 7, 2009, at the Wayback Machine, hispaniconline.com
- Barnes, Scott (October 2014). "The Passions of Ana María". Opera News. 79 (4). Retrieved 16 April 2015.
- Hoffman, Barbara (9 November 2005). "'Carmen' get it - Puerto Rican opera star is set for her Met debut". New York Post.
- Tommasini, Anthony (5 August 2006). "A Light Mozart Opera Refitted With a Hard Edge". The New York Times.
- Woolfe, Zachary (21 February 2016). "Review: 'Madama Butterfly' Showcases Ana María Martínez". The New York Times.
- von Rhein, John (18 February 2018). "Lyric revival of Mozart's romantic comedy 'Cosi Fan Tutte' touches the heart". Chicago Tribune.
- Fleshler, David (29 April 2018). "FGO triumphs with an old-fashioned operatic beauty in "Florencia"". South Florida Classical Review.
- Christiansen, Rupert (8 July 2018). "Falstaff review, Royal Opera House – despite an excellent cast, this production fails to scintillate". The Telegraph. Retrieved 19 August 2019.
- Swed, Mark (23 September 2018). "Review: Plácido Domingo is ageless as ever in 'Don Carlo,' opening the L.A. Opera season". Los Angeles Times.
- Brown, Steven (19 January 2019). "Houston Grand Opera's "Florencia" is a musical and visual delight". Texas Classical Review.
- "Houston Grand Opera Announces Concert Of Arias 2019 Winners and Appoints Ana Maria Martinez As Artistic Advisor". BroadwayWorld. 2 February 2019. Retrieved 19 August 2019.
- Rampell, Ed (8 May 2019). "'El Gato Montés': A gypsy, bandit, and torero walk into a bullring". People's World.
- "Lynn Wyatt arranges for Houston soprano to sing at Nancy Reagan funeral" by Shelby Hodge, CultureMap Houston, 14 March 2016
- "Ana María Martínez singing Pie Jesu-Requiem during Nancy Reagan's Funeral Service" Youtube, 11 March 2016
- "An Aria for the Long Island Lolita on Mozart in the Jungle by Michael Cooper, The New York Times, 7 December 2016
- Womack, Catherine (15 September 2017). "Q&A: Carmen, the Wonder Woman of opera? A soprano on playing the poster girl for freedom". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 19 August 2019.
- "Featured Artists in Mozart's Così fan tutte" at National Public Radio
- "Latin Grammys (Finally!) Announced" Archived September 30, 2007, at the Wayback Machine, eonline.com