Andrew J. Porter
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (December 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Andrew J. Porter is an American short story writer.
Porter was born in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. He graduated from Vassar College, and the Iowa Writers' Workshop. Currently, Porter lives in San Antonio, Texas, where he is an Associate Professor of English at Trinity University and directs the creative writing program.
His debut short story collection, The Theory of Light and Matter, won the 2007 Flannery O'Connor Award for Short Fiction and was republished in 2010 by Vintage Books/Random House. He is also the author of the novel In Between Days (Alfred A. Knopf, 2012), which was selected for the Barnes & Noble "Discover Great New Writers" series. His short fiction has appeared in publications such as One Story, Ploughshares, The Threepenny Review, The Southern Review, Epoch (magazine), Narrative Magazine, Prairie Schooner, The Antioch Review, StoryQuarterly, The Ontario Review, Story (magazine) and The Pushcart Prize Anthology. He appeared on NPR's Selected Shorts. Selected to "100 Other Distinguished Stories of 2007" for Best American Short Stories by Stephen King. Foreign editions and translations of The Theory of Light and Matter and In Between Days have been published in France, The Netherlands, Korea, Bulgaria, Australia and The United Kingdom.
- 2007 Flannery O'Connor Award
- 2008 Foreword Magazine Book of the Year Award
- 2004 W.K. Rose Fellowship in the Creative Arts from Vassar College
- James Michener-Paul Engle Fellowship from the James Michener/Copernicus Society of America
- 2009 Drake Emerging Writer Award from Drake University
- 2012 Barnes & Noble Discover Great New Writers Selection
- Iowa Teaching/Writing Fellowship from the University of Iowa
- Tennessee Williams Scholarship from the Sewanee' Writers' Conference
- Residency Fellowship from the Helene Wurlitzer Foundation
- Glenna Luschei Award
- Pushcart Prize
- The 2008 Artist Foundation of San Antonio Literary Arts Award
- The Theory of Light and Matter published in 2008 by the University of Georgia Press. In 2010 it was republished in paperback by Vintage Books/Random House
- In Between Days published in 2012 by Alfred A. Knopf/Random House
- Art at Our Doorstep: San Antonio Writers and Artists featuring Andrew Porter. Edited by Nan Cuba and Riley Robinson (Trinity University Press, 2008).
- Andrew Porter's Official website
- Pushcart Prize reading onSelected Shorts[permanent dead link]
- Trinity University English Department
- Profile in San Antonio Express-News
- Profile at Houston CultureMap
- Profile in Houston Magazine
- One Story Page for "Azul"
- The Guardian review of In Between Days
- Largehearted Boy: Book Notes
- The Christian Science Monitor on The Theory of Light and Matter