Andrew Jack (dialect coach)
|Born||Andrew Duncan Hutchinson|
28 January 1944
|Died||31 March 2020 (aged 76)|
|Occupation||Dialect coach, actor|
He had worked with over 200 actors including Robert Downey Jr. (in Richard Attenborough's Chaplin, Michael Hoffman's Restoration and Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes), Pierce Brosnan (in GoldenEye, Tomorrow Never Dies and Die Another Day), Cate Blanchett, and Viggo Mortensen. As supervising dialect coach for The Lord of the Rings, he created the Middle-earth accents and taught them, along with Elvish and Black Speech, to the cast of the trilogy. He designed and taught the accents for the Greeks and Trojans in Wolfgang Petersen's Troy. He taught Evan Davis to speak with a Nottinghamshire twang. He was known for helping non-British actors to be more intelligible to the audience.
Jack can also be seen in the Star Wars film series portraying Resistance Major (later promoted to General) Caluan Ematt in Star Wars: The Force Awakens and Star Wars: The Last Jedi. He also voiced the character of Moloch in Solo: A Star Wars Story. The final film he was working on at the time of his death was The Batman.
Jack was previously married to Felicity Hutchinson from 1974 to 1987 and to Paula Jack from 2000 to 2018, both marriages ended in divorce. Jack's widow Gabrielle Rogers is also a voice, accent and dialect coach who first started working in the film, television and theatre industries as an actor in the 1980s. Rogers and Jack were married in 2019 and remained together until his death in 2020.
"We lost a man today. Andrew Jack was diagnosed with coronavirus two days ago. He was in no pain, and he slipped away peacefully knowing that his family were all 'with' him."
|1982||Nancy Astor||Dialect coach|
|1989||Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade||Uncredited|
|The Ginger Tree|
|1990||The Gravy Train||4 episodes|
|1991||Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves|
|A Demon in My View|
|1992||The Last of the Mohicans|
|1993||15: The Life and Death of Philip Knight|
|2001||Kate & Leopold||John A. Roebling|
|2015||Star Wars: The Force Awakens||Caluan Ematt|
|2017||Star Wars: The Last Jedi|
|2018||Solo: A Star Wars Story||Moloch||Voice|
|2020||Rising Wolf||Doctor Thompson||Post-production|
|1957||Whack-O!||School Boy||10 episodes|
|1959||BBC Sunday-Night Theatre||Boy||Episode: "Against the Stream"|
|1966||This Man Craig||Waiter||Episode: "A Wise Father"|
|1968||The Spanish Farm||Lt. Andrews||Episode: "Paris"|
|1969||Chronicle||Bosham||Episode: "Thomas Becket"|
|Doctor in the House||Smoothie||Episode: "It's All Go..."|
|1970||The Black Tulip||Craeke||1 episode|
|1971||Softly Softly: Task Force||Radley||Episode: "Company Business"|
|2016||Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens||Caluan Ematt|
- Gabrielle Rogers (5 April 2020), "Movie dialect coach, Star Wars actor falls victim to COVID-19", Sydney Morning Herald
- "Star Wars actor dies after contracting COVID-19". BBC News. 31 March 2020. Retrieved 31 March 2020.
- "Andrew Jack". The New York Times.
- "Actor Andrew Jack Dies of Coronavirus at 76 in Britain". The New York Times. 31 March 2020.
- "Andrew Jack (I) (1944–2020)" IMDB
- "Archived copy of Official Webpage of Andrew Jack". Archived from the original on 3 July 2011.
- Moore, Miranda (Feb–Mar 2002). "How Elijah Wood learned Elvish". The Linguist.
- Davis, Evan (14 May 2010). "Can Evan do a Robin Hood Accent?". BBC News. Retrieved 8 July 2011.
- Graydon, Nicola (31 May 2004). "The Lion Roars". The Times.
- "Andrew Jack, 'Star Wars' actor, dies from Covid-19". CNN. Retrieved 31 March 2020.
- "Rest in Peace Andrew Jack, Major Caluan Ematt". Fantha Tracks. Retrieved 31 March 2020.