This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Biersack in January 2013
|Birth name||Andrew Dennis Biersack|
|Also known as|
|Born||December 26, 1990|
Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.
|Associated acts||Black Veil Brides|
Andrew Dennis Biersack (born December 26, 1990), formerly known as Andy Six, is an American singer and pianist. He is the founder and lead vocalist for the American rock band Black Veil Brides, and is its only remaining original member. In May 2014, he started a solo music project under the moniker Andy Black and released his debut album, The Shadow Side, in 2016.
- 1 Early life and education
- 2 Career
- 3 Other media
- 4 Personal life
- 5 Discography
- 6 Accolades
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Early life and education
For his early education, Biersack attended a Catholic elementary school, which he has spoken of in many interviews. His preschool teacher was Jamie Peters, who had a big influence on his creativity. Because of the way Andy dressed and the music he listened to (i.e. The Misfits, Avenged Sevenfold, The Damned, The Dropkick Murphys, etc.), he was the target of bullying at school. This bullying is reenacted in the "Knives and Pens" music video, performed by his band, Black Veil Brides.
For high school, Biersack attended Cincinnati's School for Creative and Performing Arts, and majored in drama and vocal music. Two days after he turned 18, he left school before graduating to move to Los Angeles in hopes of furthering his potential career.
Black Veil Brides
At age 14, Andy Biersack and a few of his friends formed their first band, called "Biersack" (although they only played one show). This project eventually grew into what would later be known as Black Veil Brides.
In September 2009 Black Veil Brides signed with the independent label StandBy Records. The writing process for a tour and a record began immediately. In 2009 they released their first music video for "Knives and Pens", which to date has garnered over 200 million views. The band embarked on their first US tour, titled "On Leather Wings". Their debut album, We Stitch These Wounds, was released July 20, 2010 and sold over 13,000 copies in its first week, ranking at No. 36 on the Billboard Top 200 chart and No. 1 on the Billboard Independent chart. The band's second studio album, Set the World on Fire, was released on June 14, 2011 through Lava Music/Universal Republic Records. The band's third album, Wretched and Divine: The Story of the Wild Ones, was released on January 8, 2013. Their fourth and most recent self-titled album was released on October 27, 2014.
On May 2014, Biersack revealed to Kerrang! magazine that he had been working on new music outside Black Veil Brides under the moniker 'Andy Black'. He explained that his solo project will have a radically different sound compared to the band, and that he felt he couldn't create that sound within the band, thus deciding to take it on as a solo artist. Andy's inspiration for this project was his love for '80s synth and goth music. He will be working with former Black Veil Brides producer John Feldmann. Despite this project, he reassured his fans that this does not mean this is his primary focus, but rather more of a hobby or a side-project. On May 19, 2014 he premièred his first song, titled "They Don't Need to Understand", online with a music video via Hot Topic.
On March 17, 2016, Biersack announced the title of his first Andy Black album The Shadow Side, scheduled to be released on May 6, 2016. The lead single from the project, "We Don't Have to Dance" was released on March 18, 2016, with a music video for the song being released on March 21.
After his move to Los Angeles, he took up acting for a short time. He had a small part in the AT&T commercial "Confetti", as well as a 30-second spot in the Montana Meth commercial "Jumped". Biersack guest stars in the Funny or Die web series Average Joe on YouTube. He also starred in the Black Veil Brides full-length feature film, Legion of the Black, which was released on January 6, 2013, to support the band's third album.
In February 2016, Biersack was cast to play the role of Johnny Faust in the independent supernatural thriller film American Satan alongside Asking Alexandria member Ben Bruce. The film, directed by Sumerian Records founder Ash Avildsen, was released on October 13, 2017.
Biersack's stage name was previously "Andy Six" up until around 2011 when he decided that he preferred to be called by his birth name, Andy Biersack.
In an interview with Loudwire in 2012, Biersack said, "I'm not a religious person but I grew up in a religious family. I went to the funeral for my grandfather, a person that I love very much, and everyone is speaking about how he went to Heaven and how he's in Heaven. I always fight with that, because I would love nothing more to believe that my grandfather is in the clouds playing "Xbox 460" [sic] or whatever awesome stuff they have up in Heaven, but I can't."
Biersack has suffered multiple injuries while performing with Black Veil Brides, most notably his fall from a 15-foot (4.6 m) pillar on June 18, 2011, in Hollywood. In an attempt to jump back onto the stage, he fell forward and hit his ribcage, knees and skull on the edge, which resulted in 3 ribs shattered (3 lower left), and one displaced. That particular injury caused Black Veil Brides to have to miss the first week of the Vans Warped Tour in 2011. On October 26, 2011, while on another tour in the UK, Biersack broke his nose on the drum riser while performing a gig in Luxembourg, resulting in more missed tour dates. However, two days later, he performed with Black Veil Brides in London.
In an interview with Revolver Magazine in 2011, Biersack stated:
|“||I never anticipated seeing 40. I smoke two packs a day and drink like a camel. I just don't really think about death. I know I'm gonna die one day, but if I can achieve all of my goals and live exactly the way I want to before then, I'll have no regrets when I die. I don't try to hurt myself like Iggy Pop or Marilyn Manson or anything – it's just the byproduct of the chaos of being on stage.||”|
|Andy Biersack discography|
As Andy Black
|Title||Details||Peak chart positions|
|The Shadow Side||23|
|"They Don't Need to Understand"||2014||—||Non-album single|
|"We Don't Have to Dance"||2016||23||The Shadow Side|
|"—" denotes the single failed to chart or was not released.|
As featured artist
|"Asshole"||2014||Ronnie Radke||Watch Me – Mixtape|
|"They Don't Need To Understand"||2014||Non-album single||Patrick Fogarty|
|"We Don't Have to Dance"||2016||The Shadow Side||Patrick Fogarty|
With Black Veil Brides
- We Stitch These Wounds (2010)
- Set the World on Fire (2011)
- Wretched and Divine: The Story of the Wild Ones (2013)
- Black Veil Brides (2014)
- Vale (2018)
|2011||Andy Biersack||Revolver Magazine's 100 Greatest Living Rock Stars 2011||Won||—|
|2012||Andy Biersack||Revolver Magazine's Golden God Awards: Best Vocalist 2012||Nominated||—|
|2012||Andy Biersack||Kerrang! Award for Hottest Male 2012||Nominated||—|
|2012||Andy Biersack||Kerrang!'s 50 Greatest Rock Stars in the World Today||Won||4th|
|"—" denotes a nomination that did not place or places were not relevant in the award.|
- Karan, Tim (April 13, 2011). "Black Veil Brides vocalist Andy Six to go by actual last name". Altpress.com. Retrieved 2014-06-25.
- on YouTube from 0:45 to 1:40. Alternative Press. November 19, 2013. Retrieved November 21, 2013.
- Black Veil Brides (2009). Black Veil Brides "Knives and Pens" OFFICIAL VIDEO. Retrieved January 1, 2014.
- Petteri Pertola (June 8, 2011). "Black Veil Brides – Rockfreaks.net". Rockfreaks.net. Retrieved December 28, 2012.
- "Black Veil Brides Interview". UGO.com. April 6, 2011. Archived from the original on September 21, 2013. Retrieved 2013-01-13.
- Black Veil Brides featured in Billboard Magazine TheGauntlet.com 2010-07-08. Retrieved 2010-11-18
- "Black Veil Brides We Stitch These Wounds Awards". Allmusic.com. AllMusic. Retrieved May 18, 2014.
- Heisel, Scott. "Black Veil Brides – Set The World on Fire". AltPress.com. AltPress. Retrieved May 18, 2014.
- Ableson, Jon. "Black Veil Brides Announce New Album "Wretched And Divine: The Story Of The Wild Ones" Release Date; Reveal Track Listing". Alterthepress.com. Alter the Press. Retrieved May 18, 2014.
- Bryant, Tom (May 17, 2014). "Back in Black". Kerrang!. p. 05.
- Carter, Emily. "Andy Biersack Streams First Song from Solo Project Andy Black". Kerrang.com. Kerrang!. Archived from the original on May 25, 2014. Retrieved May 25, 2014.
- "Black Veil Brides' album is based on 'fear and shadows'". Retrieved 2016-10-15.
- "Cast and More Details Revealed for 'American Satan' Movie Starring Andy Biersack + Ben Bruce".
- "Watch 'American Satan' movie trailer starring Andy Black, Ben Bruce and more". Alternative Press Magazine.
- Liz Ramanand (December 13, 2012). "Black Veil Brides Singer Andy Biersack: I Think Everybody Is 'Wretched and Divine'". Loudwire. Retrieved March 21, 2013.
- "Black Veil Brides' Andy Biersack shatters four ribs after 15-foot fall – video | News". Nme.Com. June 20, 2011. Retrieved 2013-01-13.
- "Black Veil Brides lead singer Andy Biersack... – BryanStars Interviews". Bryanstars.com. June 19, 2011. Retrieved 2013-01-13.
- "Alternative Press | Features | Exclusive Interview: Andy Biersack of Black Veil Brides discusses his fall, injuries". Altpress.com. June 22, 2011. Retrieved 2013-01-13.
- "BLABBERMOUTH.NET – BLACK VEIL BRIDES Frontman Breaks Nose During Luxembourg Concert (Photo)". Legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com. Retrieved 2013-01-13.[permanent dead link]
- Jon Wiederhorn (December 14, 2011). "Black Veil Brides' Andy Biersack Picks His Top Five Stage Injuries in 2011 – Revolver Magazine". Revolvermag.com. Retrieved 2013-01-13.
- Hung, Steffen. "australian-charts.com – Andy Black – The Shadow Side". australian-charts.com. Archived from the original on August 8, 2016. Retrieved 2016-08-23.
- "Andy Black Chart History". Billboard. Retrieved 2017-10-16.
- "Ronnie Radkes Mixtape Website". RonnieRadkeMixtape. Ronnie Radke. Retrieved December 25, 2013.
- "Congrats To Revolver Magazine & Their 100th Issue m/ | PiercingMetal Musings". Piercingmetal.com. December 16, 2011. Retrieved 2013-01-13.
- Brandon Geist (December 13, 2011). "Revolver's Mega 100th Issue—Featuring the 100 Greatest Living Rock Stars—on Newsstands Now – Revolver Magazine". Revolvermag.com. Retrieved 2013-01-13.
- "Golden Gods 2012: The Winners | News @". Ultimate-guitar.com. Retrieved 2013-01-13.
- "Kerrang! And the nominees are". Kerrang.com. Archived from the original on May 10, 2012. Retrieved 2013-01-13.