Anita Björk, early 1960s
|Born||Anita Barbro Kristina Björk
25 April 1923
|Died||24 October 2012
|Years active||1942 - 2000|
|Spouse(s)||Lasse Lindqvist (m. 1962–70)|
She was born in Tällberg, Dalarna and attended Dramatens elevskola (The Royal Dramatic Theatre's acting school) from 1942 to 1945. She was a leading lady of Swedish theatre for many years and worked on the national stage Dramaten from 1945 onwards and played more than 100 roles over the years (which makes her one of the greatest actors of Dramaten).
Anita Björk played leading roles in film in a number of genres, including thrillers and crime mystery dramas such as Det kom en gäst (1947), Moln över Hellesta (1956), Damen i svart (1958), Mannekäng i rött (1958) and Tärningen är kastad (1960). Her most famous role was probably her title role in Alf Sjöberg's film adaption of Strindberg's Miss Julie (1951) that was awarded the grand prize at Cannes Film Festival.
In the book-length interview Hitchcock/Truffaut (Simon and Schuster, 1967), Hitchcock said he had hired Björk as the female lead for I Confess in 1952 after seeing her in Miss Julie. However, when Björk arrived in Hollywood with her lover Stig Dagerman and their baby, Jack Warner, the head of Warner Brothers insisted that Hitchcock should find another actress.
Björk died on 24 October 2012 at the age of 89.
- 2000 - Bildmakarna (aka The Image Makers) (TV theatre; Ingmar Bergman)
- 1997 - Larmar och gör sig till (aka In the Presence of a Clown) (TV theatre; Ingmar Bergman)
- 1996 - Enskilda samtal (aka Private Confessions/Conversations) (TV theatre; Ingmar Bergman)
- 1993 - Snoken (TV series)
- 1992 - Markisinnan de Sade (TV theatre; Ingmar Bergman)
- 1992 - Den goda viljan (aka Best Intentions) (script: Ingmar Bergman)
- 1989 - Flickan vid stenbänken (mini series)
- 1986 - Amorosa
- 1979 - Arven
- 1978 - Tribadernas natt (TV theatre)
- 1969 - Ådalen 31 (aka Adalen 31/Adalen Riots)
- 1964 - Älskande par (aka Loving Couples)
- 1963 - Misantropen (TV theatre)
- 1962 - Vita frun (aka The Lady in White)
- 1960 - Tärningen är kastad
- 1958 - Körkarlen (aka The Phantom Carriage)
- 1958 - Mannekäng i rött (aka Mannequin in Red)
- 1958 - Damen i svart (aka The Lady in Black)
- 1956 - Sången om den eldröda blomman (aka Song of the Scarlet Flower)
- 1956 - Moln över Hellesta (aka Moon Over Hellesta)
- 1955 - Hamlet (TV theatre)
- 1955 - Giftas (aka Of Love and Lust)
- 1954 - Night People
- 1952 - Kvinnors väntan (aka Secrets of Women)
- 1951 - Fröken Julie (aka Miss Julie)
- 1950 - Kvartetten som sprängdes (aka The Quartet That Split Up)
- 1947 - Kvinna utan ansikte (aka Woman Without a Face)
- 1947 - Det kom en gäst
- 1944 - Räkna de lyckliga stunderna blott
- 1942 - Himlaspelet (aka The Heavenly Play/The Road to Heaven)
- "Décès de l'actrice Anita Björk". AlloCine. Retrieved 24 October 2012.