Anne Marie Cummings
Anne Marie Cummings
Anne Marie Cummings taken by Paul Smith in Los Angeles
Anne Marie Cummings
December 7, 1967
|Occupation||Actress, Writer, Director, Producer|
|Website||Anne Marie Cummings - Official Website|
Anne Marie Cummings is an actress, writer, director, and producer. She is the first woman to receive Academy Award nominations in the categories of acting, writing, and directing in a digital drama series.
Cummings moved to Los Angeles after spending 30 years in the theatre as a professional actress (working with Tony-award winning directors); playwright (Off and Off-Off-Broadway); and director and artistic director of her own theatre company in Upstate New York, The Readers’ Theatre of Ithaca. In its final years, her theatre company moved from a black box theatre into an independent movie theatre (Cinemapolis) where she began to film her plays and the plays of other playwrights.
When Cummings arrived to L.A., she studied writing with acclaimed television writer Ron Osborn (“Moonlighting” TV series) and wrote her first feature, “Eat Bitter, Taste Sweet”, and subsequently “Conversations in L.A.”, whose production she paid for by selling her home in Upstate New York.
Cummings began acting on stage at the age of six, and after performing in multiple professional plays by the age of 16, she attended the drama program at Carnegie Mellon University. During her summers at Carnegie, she continued to study theatre at Northwestern University and the British American Drama Academy in Oxford, England. There she studied with some of the greats such as Simon Callow, Jeremy Irons, the late Peggy Ashcroft, and the late Sir John Gielgud.
Awards and Nominations
- 2017 44th Daytime Emmy Awards
- Outstanding Lead Actress in a Digital Daytime Drama Series – Anne Marie Cummings (Nominated)
- 2017 6th Annual HollyWeb Festival
- Outstanding Digital Drama Series - Conversations in L.A. - Anne Marie Cummings (Nominated)
- 2018 45th Daytime Emmy Awards
- Outstanding Writing in a Digital Drama Series – Anne Marie Cummings (Nominated)
- 2018 9th Annual New Media Film Festival
- Outstanding Trailer in a Digital Drama Series - Conversations in L.A. - Anne Marie Cummings (Nominated)
- 2019 46th Daytime Emmy Awards
- Outstanding Writing in a Digital Daytime Drama Series – Anne Marie Cummings (Nominated)
- Outstanding Directing in a Digital Daytime Drama Series – Anne Marie Cummings (Nominated)
- 2019 10th Annual Indie Series Awards
- BEST DIRECTING – ANNE MARIE CUMMINGS (WINNER)
- Best Writing – Anne Marie Cummings (Nominated)
- Best Lead Actress – Anne Marie Cummings (Nominated)
- 2019 40th Annual Telly Awards
- WRITER/EXECUTIVE PRODUCER - ANNE MARIE CUMMINGS, IMMEDIATE VISION PRODUCTIONS (BRONZE WINNER, Best Scripted Series)
TV Grapevine wrote, “Anne Marie is the epitome of a strong powerful woman. Not only is she a triple threat (acting, directing and writing), but she is someone who stays humble and down to earth.” USA Today wrote, “Anne Marie is living proof that it's never too late to chase the dream, whatever that may be.” USA Today also wrote, “The finished product is...a study in the art of art.” Emmy Magazine said of the show, “...beautifully choreographed.” In an interview with AXS TV, Lou Diamond Phillips said of Anne Marie Cummings’ writing, “It reminded me a bit of Mamet. It reminded me a bit of Tarantino. There's just some great conversational musicality to it...incredibly well-structured and compelling from line to line.” In the same interview, Lou Diamond Phillips said, "At this point in my career, after 40 years as a professional and 30 years in Hollywood, there are not many things where I can say, 'I've never done anything quite like that.'" After Season One, the Huffington Post wrote, “Cummings is a force and Hollywood has taken note. As writer, Cummings is brilliant. As creator, Cummings dares to go there.” Hollywood Alert wrote that Anne Marie Cummings, “...is the first woman to receive Emmy nominations for Digital Series Acting, Writing, and Directing.” Vents Magazine wrote that the show is, “...deep, real, and unforgettable.” Carlos Sottomayor Magazine wrote the series is, “A funny and witty series.” In an article by Stareable, it was written that, “Cummings’ theatre background is clear in their format.” After Season Three, Grit Daily wrote, “Conversations in L.A. is worth discussing.”
- "Interview with 4 time Emmy nominee Anne Marie Cummings, Conversations in L.A." Hollywood Alert. Retrieved 17 June 2019.
- "Conversations with Emmy Award nominated Anne Marie Cummings". The Spectrum. Retrieved 17 June 2019.
- "EXCLUSIVE : "Conversations in L.A.": Shining The Spotlight On Anne Marie Cummings". Seat 42F. Retrieved 17 June 2019.
- "Digital Drama Causing "Conversations in L.A."". CMU. Retrieved 17 June 2019.
- "Anne Marie Cummings, writer, director, producer and star of 'Conversations in L.A.' [INTERVIEW]". Stars and Celebs. Retrieved 17 June 2019.
- ""If I see something in my mind – we do it": Anne Marie Cummings talks about the creative process behind 'Conversations in L.A.'". Meaww. Retrieved 17 June 2019.
- "FILM FESTIVAL NEWS: HOLLYWEB FESTIVAL ANNOUNCES FULL SCHEDULE – EPISODES FROM 97 DIGITAL SERIES WILL SCREEN AT AMC UNIVERSAL CITYWALK". festworks.com. festworks. Retrieved 17 June 2019.
- "THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF TELEVISION ARTS & SCIENCES ANNOUNCES NOMINATIONS FOR THE 45TH ANNUAL DAYTIME EMMY® AWARDS". Emmy Online. Retrieved 17 June 2019.
- "IN IT'S 9TH YEAR, THE NEW MEDIA FILM FESTIVAL BEAMS WITH A HEART FELT ULTRA TRAJECTORY TELLING ,MANY NEW STORYS, DIFFERENTLY FROM JUNE 16-JUNE 17-JAMES BRIDGES THEATRE, 235 CHARLES E YOUNG DR. N LOS ANGELS CA 90035". cold heat news. June 4, 2018. Retrieved 17 June 2019.
- "46th Annual Daytime Nominations" (PDF). emmyonline.org. Emmy Awards. Retrieved 17 June 2019.
- "Conversations in L.A. - Telly Awards". Telly Awards. Retrieved 22 May 2019.
- "Celebrity Spotlight: Anne Marie Cummings". TV GrapeVine. Retrieved 17 June 2019.
- "L.A. Stories - Anne Marie Cummings brings a theater experience to L.A. actors". Emmys. Retrieved 17 June 2019.
- "Interview: Lou Diamond Phillips talks legendary career, joining 'Conversations in L.A.' and his future behind the camera". AXS. Retrieved 17 June 2019.
- "Anne Marie Cummings Emmy® Nominated Star & Creator of Runaway Hit Series "Conversations in LA"". Huff Post. Retrieved 17 June 2019.
- "2017 Daytime Emmy Awards Contender Showcases "Conversations in LA" That Are Deep, Real, and Unforgettable". Vents Magazine. Retrieved 19 May 2019.
- "CONVERSATIONS IN L.A. By ANNE MARIE CUMMINGS-THREE DAYTIME EMMY NOMINATIONS". Carlos Otto Mayor. Retrieved 17 June 2019.
- "A Conversation with the Co-stars and Creator of Conversations in LA". Stareable. Retrieved 17 June 2019.
- "WITH THREE EMMY NODS, UNIQUE ONE-TAKE AMAZON SERIES "CONVERSATIONS IN L.A." IS WORTH DISCUSSING". Grit Daily. Retrieved 17 June 2019.