Anthony Barnett (writer)
Anthony Barnett (born November 1942) is an English writer and campaigner. He was a co-founder of openDemocracy in 2001.
A former member of the editorial committee of New Left Review, Barnett has written for the New Statesman, The Guardian and Prospect. He conceived the television film England's Henry Moore (1988), which concerned the sculptor's co-option by the British establishment.
In 2001 he founded openDemocracy with Paul Hilder, Susie Richards and David Hayes and was its Editor and then its Editor-in-Chief until 2007. He remains a regular contributor to the website. In 2016, he serialised Blimey it could be Brexit! publishing a chapter a week in the run up to Britain's EU referendum about the forces behind the vote. His in-depth evaluation was announced to be published by Unbound in 2017 (What Next: Britain after Brexit). The title was changed to The Lure of Greatness: England’s Brexit and America’s Trump.
Barnett was awarded an honorary doctorate from The Open University in September 2013. He lives with Judith Herrin; the couple have two daughters, the singer Tamara Barnett-Herrin and Portia Barnett-Herrin.
- Barnett, Anthony & John Pilger (1982). Aftermath : the struggle of Cambodia & Vietnam. London: New Statesman.
- Iron Britannia, Why Parliament Waged its Falklands War (1982) ISBN 978-0-85031-493-9
- Soviet Freedom (1988) ISBN 978-0-09-175871-4
- Debating the Constitution (1992) with Caroline Ellis and Paul Hirst ISBN 978-0-7456-1199-0
- Power and the Throne (1994), drawn from the Charter 88 monarchy debate ISBN 978-0-09-939311-5
- This Time - Our Constitutional Revolution (1997) ISBN 978-0-09-926858-1
- Town and Country (1999) edited with Roger Scruton ISBN 978-0-224-05254-2
- The Athenian Option, Radical reform of the House of Lords with Peter Cary (2008) ISBN 978-1-84540-139-9
- The Lure of Greatness: England's Brexit and America's Trump (2017) ISBN 978-1-78352-453-2
Essays and reporting
- Barnett, Anthony (14 December 2017). "Democracy and the machinations of mind control". NYR Daily. The New York Review of Books.
- Introduction to 'Architect or Bee?' by Mike Cooley published by Hogarth Press in 1987; ISBN 9780701207694
- "Writers – Anthony Barnett". New Statesman. Retrieved 5 August 2017.
- "Anthony Barnett". The Guardian. Retrieved 5 August 2017.
- "Articles by Anthony Barnett". Prospect. Retrieved 5 August 2017.
- "Anthony Barnett: a radical's fanfare". opendemocracy.net. Retrieved 30 January 2010.
- "Anthony Barnett". openDemocracy. Retrieved 5 August 2017.