This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
An anti-boycott, counter-boycott or buycott is the excess buying of a particular brand or product in an attempt to counter a boycott of the same brand or product.
Some anti-boycott measures are enforced by law. For example, anti-boycott provisions in the Export Administration Act of 1979 and Ribicoff Amendment to the Tax Reform Act of 1976 in the United States forbid US companies and their subsidiaries from complying with or supporting a foreign country's boycott of another country unless the US also approves of the boycott. Violations can cause the authorities to take firm measures. The Arab League's boycott of Israel has been the primary focus of these laws, though it applies to any "unsanctioned" foreign boycott.
The usual reason for an anti-boycott is to prevent a company or entity from backing down on the decision that initially caused the boycott.
Some examples of anti-boycotts include:
- The 2006 "Buy Danish" campaign, set up to counter the boycott of Danish goods by the Middle East
- The anti-boycotts by supporters of Israel to oppose boycott Israel campaigns in 2009.
- Whole Foods Market was boycotted in 2009 when the CEO opposed U.S. President Barack Obama's health care reform policies. Opponents of health care reform staged nationwide buycotts in response.
- "US Anti-Boycott Laws: Top 5 Things Exporters Should Know - Law360". www.law360.com. Retrieved 2017-05-11.
- Fairplay UK Archived October 15, 2016, at the Wayback Machine.
- Buycott Israel Canada[permanent dead link]
- Nov. 28, 2009, Calgary Herald, "Ignore boycott, it’s time to BUYcott Israel," http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Ignore+boycott+time+buycott+Israel/2278704/story.html[permanent dead link]
- Amidst Boycott Calls, British And Canadian Jews Initiate Buycott Campaigns By Samuel Sokol Published on Thursday, November 19, 2009 http://www.5tjt.com/news/read.asp?Id=5248[permanent dead link]
- Watson, Bruce "Whole Foods 'buycott' turns grocery store into cultural battleground Archived March 4, 2016, at the Wayback Machine." Daily Finance (2 November 2009). Last accessed, 10 December 2012)