Are You In?
|This article needs additional or better citations for verification. (March 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|"Are You In?"|
|Single by Incubus|
|from the album Morning View|
|Genre||Alternative rock, funk rock|
|Length||4:24 (album version)
3:25 (radio edit)
|Songwriter(s)||Brandon Boyd, Mike Einziger, Alex Katunich, Chris Kilmore and José Pasillas|
|Incubus singles chronology|
The song itself has elements of different styles in it, including jazz and swing music. The liner notes for the album contain no lyrics to this song (which all other songs have), most likely because there are very few lyrics. Although the words are very simple, it has become a fan favourite and a staple during live performances.
Many have speculated on what the song means; many have found that "Are you In" can refer to whatever the listener wants it to mean, although in the case of the video, it refers to a swingers club. Several have thought the song references smoking marijuana.
Brandon Boyd stated in an interview that the song was born from the start of a jam in the house on Morning View following an argument the band had. Someone started the groove and without talking, each member joined in one by one. Brandon said that he then went around the room with his microphone pointing to his bandmates and singing "It's so much better when everyone is in...are you in?"
A music video was made, although it did not gain much recognition. The video shows the band arriving and then performing in what appears to be a swingers club. The style of music as well as the video could suggest that the song is also about being "in" or "open" about swinging.
US CD Single
- "Are You In?"
- "Are You In? (Paul Oakenfold remix)"
- "Wish You Were Here (live)"
- "Warning (live)"
- "Stellar (live)"
Charts and certifications
|Germany (Official German Charts)||72|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||86|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||5|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||34|
|Country||Certification (if any)||Sales/shipments|
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-11-15. Retrieved 2015-04-12.
- "Offiziellecharts.de – Incubus – Are You In?". GfK Entertainment Charts.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-02-07. Retrieved 2015-04-12.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Incubus – Are You In?" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Charts.org.nz – Incubus – Are You In?". Top 40 Singles.
- "September 2002/ Archive Chart: 14 September 2002" UK Singles Chart.
- on YouTube