Area code 321
Area code 321 is the area code serving Brevard County, Florida. The area code has been in use since November 1, 1999; it was assigned to Florida (instead of suburban Chicago) after a successful petition led by local resident Robert Osband to commemorate the Space Coast's impact on Brevard County. The code refers to the countdown sequence which has launched many spacecraft from Cape Canaveral.
When it was activated in 2000, area code 321 was used as an overlay for most of area code 407 in the Orlando area, except for the small portion of Volusia County that includes Deltona which was in 407 at the time (it is now in 386). However, no (321) numbers were issued in the 407 area from 2003 until 2015, when (321) numbers were issued for cell phones in Osceola, Orange & Seminole counties due to high demand.
321 is the only area code in North America that is the overlay of one area code, and the sole area code elsewhere. 10-digit dialling is mandatory in both areas.
321 also is the area code used for SatCom Satellite Phone units. Harris/Caprock Corporation has maritime satellite calls going through its corporate call center in Melbourne.
- "3-2-1, Call Cape Canaveral". The New York Times. 1999-11-23. Retrieved March 2, 2011.
- MEHTA, STEPHANIE N. (1999-02-26). "The Kennedy Space Center Acquires A New Area Code: 3-2-1, as in Blast Off". Wall Street Journal.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-07-04. Retrieved 2012-07-05. All such calls go through the service's Melbourne data center. (The company headquarters are in Melbourne).
- NANPA Area Code Map of Florida
- Florida's Area Code History
- How I Got My Own Area Code by Richard Cheshire, "The Cheshire Catalyst"
|Florida area codes: 239, 305, 321, 352, 386, 407, 561, 727, 754, 772, 786, 813, 850, 863, 904, 941, 954|
|West: 407/321||area code 321 (standalone)||East: Atlantic Ocean|
|This Florida state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to a telephone area code is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|