Arkhangelsk Military District
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Arkhangelsk Military District (Russian: Арха́нгельский вое́нный о́круг) existed from March 26, 1940 to December 15, 1944, and again from February 15, 1946 to June 29, 1951. Command of the district was established from command elements of the 15th Army (Arkhangelsk). During the reorganization on January 1, 1945, it was renamed Belomorsky Military District (White Sea Military District).
On June 22, 1941, army formations in the district included the 88th and 111th Rifle Divisions. Among the reserve formations formed in the Arkhangelsk Military District that served as part of the "operational army" (on the front lines) during World War II were the 28th Army and the 39th Army.
- Vladimir Nikolayevich Kurdyumov (March 26, 1940 – April 1940)
- Vladimir Yakovlevich Kachalov (April 1940 – June 1941)
- Vladimir Zakharovich Romanovsky (June 1941 – March 1942)
- Trifon Ivanovich Shevaldin (March 1942 – December 15, 1944)
- Ivan Ivanovich Fedyuninsky (February 15, 1946 – 1947)
- Vladimir Ivanovich Shcherbakov (1947–1949)
- Valeria Alexandrovich Frolov (1949–1951)
- Leo Niehorster, Arkhangelsk Military District on 22 June 1941, accessed July 2011