|Member of the Iowa House of Representatives
from the 66th district
January 14, 2013
|Preceded by||Renee Schulte|
|Succeeded by||Renee Schulte|
|Born||1949 (age 67–68)
Joplin, Missouri, U.S.
|Children||Ashleigh, Tighe, Sarah, Kirsten|
|Residence||Cedar Rapids, Iowa|
|Alma mater||Rockhurst University
University of Missouri at Kansas City
East Central University
|Website||Staed's legislative website|
Art Staed (born 1949) is a current Iowa State Representative from the 66th District. A Democrat, he was in the Iowa House of Representatives for one term, from 2007 to 2009. Staed holds a B.A. in Philosophy from Rockhurst University in Kansas City, a Master's degree in Secondary Education from the University of Missouri at Kansas City and another Master's degree in Secondary Administration from East Central University in Ada, Oklahoma.
Staed served on several committees in the Iowa House – Education, Labor, and Veterans Affairs. He also served as vice chair of the Economic Growth Committee and of the Economic Development Appropriations Subcommittee.
As of the 2013 Legislative Session, Staed is serving on the Education, Local Government and Veterans Affairs committees and the Administration and Regulation Appropriations Subcommittee.
Staed ran for the Iowa House in 2004, losing to the incumbent, Republican Jeff Elgin. He was elected in 2006, defeating Republican opponent Andy Anderson. Republican Renee Schulte narrowly defeated him in 2008, 8628 (49.95%) to 8615 (49.88%). A recount resulted in a net gain of one vote for Staed, leaving the election with a 13-vote margin of victory.
|Iowa House of Representatives elections, 2004 
|Republican hold||Jeff Elgin*||Republican||9,579||56.1|
|Iowa House of Representatives elections, 2006 
|Democratic gain from Republican||Art Staed||Democratic||6,462||51.4|
|Iowa House of Representatives elections, 2008 
|Republican gain from Democratic||Renee Schulte||Republican||8,628||50.0|
- "Canvass Summary – Final – 2004 General Election (11/2/2004)" (PDF). Iowa Secretary of State. 2004-12-06. p. 26. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2007-01-04. Retrieved 2011-09-19.
- "Official Results Report – Statewide, 2006 General Election 11-07-2006" (PDF). Iowa Secretary of State. 2006-11-21. p. 34. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2007-07-15. Retrieved 2011-09-19.
- "November 4, 2008 General Election Results". Iowa Secretary of State. Retrieved 2011-09-19.
- In 2012, Staed challenged Schulte again and won this election by a larger vote count. Martyn, Chase (2008-11-29). "HD 37 recount does not change result". Iowa Independent. Center for Independent Media. Retrieved 2011-10-10.
On a 2-1 vote, the Recount Board certified the results of the House District 37 race Saturday evening, counting 8,615 votes for Staed and 8,628 for Schulte. That's a 13-vote margin, which means the recount netted Staed one vote.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Art Staed.|
- Staed on Project Vote Smart
- Staed's Capitol Web Address
- Staed's campaign website
- Iowa House Democrats – Member profile: Rep. Art Staed[permanent dead link]
|Iowa House of Representatives|