Arun Kumar Basak
Arun Kumar Basak
Basak in 2012
অরুন কুমার বসাক
|Alma mater||University of Rajshahi|
|Fields||Theoretical physics, Atomic physics, Nuclear Physics|
|Institutions||University of Rajshahi|
Shahjalal University of Science and Technology
Early life and education
Basak was born in Radhanagor of Pabna town, Bengal Presidency, British India to parents Haripada Basak and Usha Rani Basak. Basak matriculated in 1957 securing First Division from R.M. Academy. He secured the second position in the merit list in the Intermediate Science Examination held under University of Rajshahi in 1959 from Edward College. He was placed in First Class with the first position in the B.Sc. (Hons) examination from Rajshahi College in 1961. In M.Sc. Examination (1963) from University of Rajshahi, he obtained the first position in first class and was awarded an RU Gold medal.
In December 1963, Basak joined the University of Rajshahi as a lecturer in the Department of Physics. In 1978, Basak was appointed as an Associate Professor by the University of Dhaka, but he preferred to stay in Rajshahi where he became Associate Professor in the later part of 1978. He was awarded a merit scholarship for securing the highest marks in the Faculty of Science and got admission at Imperial College, London. Owing to the 1965 Indo-Pak war, he could not avail the opportunity. In 1972, he went to the University of Birmingham with a Commonwealth Scholarship. He worked with the tensor polarized deuteron and the polarized 3He beams, the latter being the only one of its kind in the world. He earned his Ph.D. degree in 1975.
- Senior associate of the Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics at Trieste, Italy during 1987-96.
- Elected as a fellow of the Bangladesh Academy of Sciences in 2001
- Elected as a fellow of the Institute of Physics (London) in 2001.
- Was a principal investigator from Bangladesh in a collaborative project, which funded by the US National Science Foundation.
- The fellow of Bangladesh Physical Society from 1987 (life membership).
- A member of American Physical Society during 200-03 and from 2013(life membership).
- Was a post doctoral fellow in Nuclear Physics, The Ohio State University, United States during 1981-82.
- An associate member of ICTP, Italy during 1888-1995.
- Visiting scholar at Southern Illinois University, USA in 1997.
- Visiting Professor at Kent State University, USA.
- Bangladesh Academy of Sciences Gold Medal in Physical Sciences (2003)
- Star Lifetime Award on Physics (2016)
- "Prof. Arun Kumar Basak". The Daily Star. February 5, 2016. Retrieved February 16, 2016.
- "Current Faculty Members". ru.ac.bd. Retrieved February 16, 2016.
- "Year book of the Bangladesh Academy of Science". 2014. p. 335.
- "Professor Arun Kumar Basak". bas.org.bd.
- DUMAA (30 September 2011). "Professor Arun K. Basak: Emeritus Professor of Physics in Bangladesh". In Choudhury, Prof. Shamima (ed.). Dhaka University Microbiology Alumni Association (DUMAA) News Letter and Science News. Dhaka: Dhaka University Microbiology Alumni Association. pp. 5, 6, 8.
- "Professor Arun Kumar Basak: A man with a difference" (PDF). Probe. Bangladesh. 2006-08-11. p. 11. Archived from the original on 2016-08-12. Retrieved 2016-08-28.