Attitude (Troop album)
|Studio album by Troop|
|Released||October 13, 1989|
|Recorded||December 1988 - August 1989|
|Genre||R&B, pop, urban, soul, new jack swing|
|Producer||Chuckii Booker, Joyce Irby, Gerald Levert & Marc Gordon, Chris Troy & Zack Harmon, Steve Russell, Dallas Austin|
Attitude is the second album by new jack swing group Troop released by Atlantic Records on October 13, 1989. The album features numerous debuts by a few well known musicians. The songs "My Music" and "I Will Always Love You" marked the debut of record producer Dallas Austin, who co-produced the songs with his mentor Joyce "Fenderella" Irby - a former member of the band Klymaxx. A then-unknown Trent Reznor appeared as one of the recording engineers on the Gerald Levert produced songs "That's My Attitude" and "For You". The video version of the single "Spread My Wings" was the one of the first songs remixed by hip hop producer Clark Kent.
Attitude was the highest charting album from Troop, peaking within the Top 5 on the Top R&B Albums chart and received a gold certification. It spawned the group's first two R&B hits to peak at number-one: "Spread My Wings" and the cover of the Jackson 5 song, "All I Do Is Think of You," both of which was produced by singer and producer Chuckii Booker. Booker originally wanted to keep "Spread My Wings" for his 1989 debut Chuckii, but group member Steve Russell insisted on recording it for Attitude. Attitude remains as Troop's highest selling album to date.
- "My Music" (Steve Russell, Joyce Irby, Dallas Austin, Allen McNeil) — 4:24
- "That's My Attitude" (Gerald Levert, Marc Gordon) — 4:56
- "I'm Not Soupped" (Steve Russell, William Z. Harmon, Christopher Troy) — 4:23
- "My Love" (Dallas Austin, Joyce Irby) — 3:45
- "Spread My Wings" (Chuckii Booker) — 5:08
- "All I Do Is Think of You" (Michael Lovesmith, Brian Holland) — 4:54
- "I Will Always Love You" (Steve Russell, Joyce Irby, Dallas Austin) — 5:06
- "Another Lover" (Steve Russell, Allen McNeil, Rick Walker) — 5:01
- "For You" (Gerald Levert, Marc Gordon) — 4:28
- "Soupped Mix" (Steve Russell, William Z. Harmon, Christopher Troy) — 4:37
- "Reprise (Spread My Wings)" (Chuckii Booker) — 2:55
- Keyboards and Drum programming: Dallas Austin, Joyce Irby, Zack Harmon, Christopher Troy, Chuckii Booker, Steve Russell, Marc Gordon
- Keyboard Programming: Jim Salamone
- Guitar: Thomas Organ, Randy Bowland
- Drums: Derek Organ
- Recording engineer: Alvin Speights, Mike Tarsia, Trent Reznor, Pete Tokar, Big Al Richardson, Craig Burbidge, Greg Barrett, Anthony Jeffries, Bob Siebert, D.C.
- Mixing: Joyce Irby, Dallas Austin, Mike Tarsia, Merlin Bobb, Craig Burbidge, Jerry Solomon, Chuckii Booker, Taavi Mote
- Executive producer: Sylvia Rhone, Merlin Bobb
- Mastering: Dennis King
- Photography: Jeff Katz
- Art Direction: Bob Defrin
|1989||"I'm Not Souped"||—||19||—|
|1990||"Spread My Wings"||47||1||—|
|"All I Do Is Think of You"||47||1||—|
|"That's My Attitude"||—||14||—|
|1991||"I Will Always Love You"||—||31||—|
- "Attitude: Troop: Music". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2010-10-21.
- "Make It Funky: The Rise & Fall of the Highland Place Mobsters". redbullmusicacademy.com. Red Bull Music Academy. Retrieved 2015-08-27.
- Zelenko, Michael and Naomi Zeichner. "We're In This Together: An Oral History of Nine Inch Nails". The Fader. Retrieved October 16, 2015.
- Unsung - The Story Of Troop. Original Air Date: August 27, 2014. TV One Network.
- "Troop US albums chart history". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2011-06-21.
- "Troop US singles chart history". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2011-06-21.