Austin Executive Airport
|Austin Executive Airport|
|Owner||Travis County Field LLC|
|Elevation AMSL||620 ft / 189 m|
Austin Executive Airport (ICAO: KEDC, FAA LID: EDC) is a public-use airport located 12 nmi (22 km) northeast of the central business district of Austin, a city in Travis County, Texas, United States. It is situated in unincorporated Manor, west of Elgin, and was formerly known as Bird's Nest Airport (FAA: 6R4).
Austin Executive Airport opened in 2011 with funding from Ron Henriksen, who also operates Houston Executive Airport. It incorporates the former Bird's Nest Airport, which operated for about 40 years on 134 acres (0.54 km2), and adjacent property purchased for the expansion. A new 6,025-foot (1,836 m) runway was constructed and the original runway was shortened from 2,700 feet (820 m) to 1,550 feet (470 m). In February 2013, the new Runway 13/31 was awarded the 2012 Ray Brown Airport Pavement Award by the National Asphalt Pavement Association, recognizing it as the highest quality airport asphalt pavement project in the country.
A different airport with a similar name was the Austin Executive Airpark (FAA: 3R3), located near Parmer Lane and Interstate 35. Previously named Tim's Airpark in the 1960s and 1970s, it was permanently closed on May 1, 1999.
Facilities and aircraft
Austin Executive Airport covers an area of 585 acres (237 ha) at an elevation of 620 feet (189 m) above mean sea level. It has two asphalt paved runways: 13/31 is 6,025 by 100 feet (1,836 x 30 m) and 16/34 is 1,550 by 25 feet (472 x 8 m).
For the 12-month period ending December 31, 2013, the airport had 18,000 general aviation aircraft operations, an average of 1,500 per month. At that time there were 93 aircraft based at this airport.
- FAA Airport Master Record for EDC ( PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. Effective 30 June 2011.
- "Austin Executive Airport (FAA: EDC, ICAO: KEDC)". Great Circle Mapper. Retrieved 2 July 2011.
- Wear, Ben (28 November 2010). "$33 million effort transforming once-grassy airstrip". Austin American Statesman. Retrieved 29 May 2011.
- "J.D. Ramming Paving Co. LLC wins NAPA's Ray E. Brown Airport Pavement Award". ForConstructionPros.com. 13 Feb 2013. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
- National Asphalt Pavement Association. "Ray Brown Airport Pavement Award". Retrieved 2013-02-13.
- "Austin Executive Airpark". Austin Explorer. Retrieved 29 May 2011.
- Official website for Austin Executive Airport
- Aerial photo as of 28 January 1995 from USGS The National Map
- FAA Terminal Procedures for EDC, effective July 20, 2017
- Resources for this airport: