Australian Transit Enterprises
|Headquarters||Fortitude Valley, Australia|
|Jonathon Cook (CEO)|
|Subsidiaries||Hornibrook Bus Lines
Australian Transit Enterprises was founded in 1995 when Hornibrook Bus Lines proprietor Geoff Mountjoy formed a joint venture with Melbourne bus proprietors the Grenda Corporation and Kefford Corporation.
In January 1996 it commenced operating services in Perth under the Path Transit banner. This was followed in April 2000 by a contract (Outer South) in Adelaide under the SouthLink banner. At the same time, the Adelaide Hills operation contract was awarded to Transitplus, a joint venture between ATE with TransAdelaide. In April 2005 SouthLink was awarded an additional Adelaide contract (Outer North). In 2010, ATE took full control of the operation of the Hills contract, under the SouthLink brand. In July 2011, SouthLink's existing contracts were renewed for eight years.
It also operates the LinkSA coach business.
In 2012 Grenda Corporation sold its share in the business to the Mountjoy family. Kefford Corporation had previously sold its share. In March 2015, Keolis Downer purchased the business. As a result, ATE's subsidiaries were reorganised to be directly under the control of Keolis Downer, while Australian Transit Enterprises became defunct.
Prior to the company's sale to Keolis Downer in March 2015, it had a total bus fleet of 930.
- "Kefford Group Tour" Australian Bus Panorama 13/2 October 1997 page 10
- "Swan Transit" Australian Bus Panorama 12/1 August 1996 page 25
- "Adelaide Bus Tendering Results Announced" Australian Bus Panorama 15/4 February 2000 page 21
- "Adelaide Bus Tendering Results" Australian Bus Panorama 15/5 April 2000 page 29
- Competitive Tendering for Bus Services Seventh International Conference on Competition & Ownership in Land Passenger Transport June 2001
- History Archived 25 April 2013 at the Wayback Machine. SouthLink
- "New Metropolitan Bus Contracts for Adelaide" Minister for Urban Development & Planning 17 February 2005
- Serco bus drivers end strike ABC News 19 February 2005
- Report on the Adelaide Metro Bus Service Contracts Minister for Transport August 2011
- New Contractors for Adelaide bus services Department of Planning, Transport & Infrastructure 29 April 2011
- Provision of Bus Passenger Transport Services for the Adelaide Metro Public Transport Network Tenders SA
- 186 Ken Grenda & family Business Review Weekly rich list May 2013
- Operator ATE Sold Australasian Bus & Coach 11 March 2015