Aweil East State
|Nickname(s): Home Of Soldiers|
|Motto(s): Unity, Peace and Justice|
Location of Aweil East State in South Sudan
|Number of Counties||13|
|Number of Municipalities||2|
|• Governor||Deng Deng Akuei|
|Population (2014 Estimate)|
Aweil East also known as Abiem State, is a state in the Republic of South Sudan. It is located in northern-western South Sudan. Its capital and largest city is Wanyjok. The state is located in the Bahr el Ghazal region and it borders Twic State and Gogrial State to the east, Aweil State to the south, Lol State to the west, the disputed Abyei State region to the northeast, and Sudan to the north.
The state initially existed as Aweil East County when Aweil gaaned state-establishment from Wau, South Sudan in 1994 according to Sudan. On 2 October 2015, President Salva Kiir officially declared and issued a decree establishing 28 states in place of the 10 constitutionally established states. The decree established the new states largely along ethnic lines. A number of opposition parties and civil society groups challenged the constitutionality of the decree. Kiir later resolved to take it to parliament for approval as a constitutional amendment. In November the South Sudanese parliament empowered President Kiir to create new states.
The state is nicknamed as The Home of Soldiers, because SPLA Division 3 is found in Wunyiek to West of the state.
The state is located in the Bahr el Ghazal region and it borders Twic State and Gogrial State to the east, Aweil State to the south, Lol State to the west, the disputed Abyei State region to the northeast, and Sudan to the north.
After Aweil East formed, the state split up even further into eight separate counties. These eight counties are Wunlung County, Malualbaai County, Warguet County, Yargot County, Madhol County, Mangok County, Baac County, and Mangar-Tong County. In addition to the 5 counties, it also consists of municipality of Malualkon and Majok Yinh Thiou.
Wanyjok is the capital city of Aweil East. It hosts the two largest blocks, Malualkhon and Machar Mou. The Wer Bei Radio which broadcasts the word of God is found to north-east of the city.
- "Aweil East State". south-sudan.biz. Retrieved 27 November 2016.
- "Kiir and Makuei want 28 states in South Sudan". Radio Tamazuj. Archived from the original on 2015-12-08.
- "Kiir pressured into taking decree to parliament for approval". Radio Tamazuj. Archived from the original on 2016-03-04.
- "South Sudan's Kiir appoints governors of 28 new states". Sudan Tribune.
- "South Sudan's President appoints 28 Governors, defies peace agreement". South Sudan News Agency. 24 December 2015. Archived from the original on 2016-02-02.
- "Aweil East governor appoints county commissioners". Radio Tamazuj. 21 April 2016. Archived from the original on 2016-08-19. Retrieved 12 August 2016.
- "Aweil East governor appoints Wanyjok town mayor and deputy". Radio Tamazuj. 27 March 2016. Archived from the original on 2016-08-17. Retrieved 12 August 2016.