|State of South Sudan|
Location of Boma in South Sudan
|• Governor||Sultan Ismail Konyi|
|• Total||41,654 km2 (16,083 sq mi)|
|Population (2008 census)|
|• Density||5.2/km2 (13/sq mi)|
|• Summer (DST)||not observed|
Boma State is one of the 32 states of South Sudan formed on 2 October 2015. It is located in the Greater Upper Nile region and was formerly part of the state of Jonglei. The state borders Akobo State, Imatong State, Jonglei State, Kapoeta State, and the country of Ethiopia to the east.
Before Boma State was created, its territory was located in the former state of Jonglei. On 2 October 2015, President Salva Kiir issued a decree establishing 28 states in place of the 10 constitutionally established states. The decree established the new states largely along ethnic lines. A number of opposition parties and civil society groups challenged the constitutionality of the decree. Kiir later resolved to take it to parliament for approval as a constitutional amendment. In November the South Sudanese parliament empowered President Kiir to create new states.
Boma State is located in the Greater Upper Nile region and it borders the states of Akobo to the northwest, Imatong to the southwest, Kapoeta to the southeast, Jonglei to the west, and the country of Ethiopia to the east.
After Boma State was created, the state split even further into two separate counties. These two counties are Pibor County and Pochalla County.
Towns and cities
The capital of the state is Pibor, South Sudan. The population of Pibor was estimated at less than 1,000 people in 2011. Another in the state of Boma include Pochalla, South Sudan, with lies directly on the border with Ethiopia. The town is about 470 kilometers (290 miles) from Juba via road.
- "Boma State". south-sudan.biz. Retrieved 27 November 2016.
- "Kiir and Makuei want 28 states in South Sudan". Radio Tamazuj. Archived from the original on 2015-12-08.
- "Kiir pressured into taking decree to parliament for approval". Radio Tamazuj. Archived from the original on 2016-03-04.
- "South Sudan's Kiir appoints governors of 28 new states". Sudan Tribune.
- "South Sudan's President appoints 28 Governors, defies peace agreement". South Sudan News Agency. 24 December 2015. Archived from the original on 2016-02-02.
- "Estimated Population of Pibor Post". Retrieved 27 November 2016.
- "Distance between Pochalla and Juba". distancecalculator.globefeed.com. Retrieved 27 November 2016.