A Bachelor of Software Engineering Honours BSEHons is an undergraduate academic degree (Bachelor's Degree) awarded for completing a program of study in the field of software development for computers in information technology.
In following years a software engineering student will often have a much stronger focus on Software systems and data management. The inclusion of human factors in a software engineering degree has been heavily debated, arguing that products of software engineers often are too difficult to use by consumers.
Sample B.S. in Software Engineering Degree Information from the University of Virginia - Wise
Core SWE Requirements:
- Introduction to Software Engineering
- Software Requirements & Modeling
- Software Design & Construction
- Software Testing, Verification, and Validation
- Software Quality Assurance
- Software Project Management
- Software Configuration Management
- Fundamentals of Programming
- Data Structures
- Introduction to Algorithms
- Operating Systems
- Computer Architecture
- Programming Languages
- Human - Computer Interaction
- Discrete Mathematics
- Database Designing
- Probability & Statistics
- Calculus I
- Calculus II
- Calculus III
- Linear Algebra
- Boolean Algebra
General skills acquired through a Bachelor's degree course in Software Engineering
Employers generally seek applicants with strong programming, systems analysis and business skills.
"A large difference exists between the software engineering skills taught at a typical university or college and the skills that are desired of a software engineer by a typical software development organization. At the heart of this difference seems to be the way software engineering is typically introduced to students: general theory is presented in a series of lectures and put into (limited) practice in an associated class project."
Graduate prospects are projected to be excellent with the amount of software engineers in the industry estimated to rise by roughly 38% from 2006 to 2016, with total real wage in the industry increasing by an estimated 38.2%. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Job Outlook for Software engineers and Developers 2019-29 predicts only a 22% growth. After the crash of the dot-com bubble (1999–2001) and the Great Recession (2008), many U.S. software professions were left without work or with lower wages. In addition, enrollment in computer-related degrees and other STEM degrees (STEM attrition) in the US has been dropping for years, especially for women, which, according to Beaubouef and Mason could be attributed to a lack of general interest in science and mathematics and also out of an apparent fear that software will be subject to the same pressures as manufacturing and agriculture careers. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook 2014-24 predicts a decline for Computer Programmers of -8 percent, then for 2016-26 predicts a decline of -7 percent, then a decline of -9 percent from 2019 to 2029, and finally predicts a decline of -10 percent from 2021 to 2031.
In Pakistan and Nepal, Bachelor of Engineering in Software Engineering (BE Software) is an 8-semester course of study. This degree is provided by University of Engineering and Technology, Taxila, Virtual University of Pakistan,Superior university and many others and Pokhara University Nepal.
In Bangladesh, this degree is named Bachelor of Science in Software Engineering (BS SE) which is also an 8-semester course of study. University of Dhaka is the pioneer of Software Engineering education in Bangladesh offering Bachelor of Science in Software Engineering (BSSE) degree since 2009 with 6 months industry internship program.
The Bachelor of Software Engineering degree is awarded to those who successfully complete an eight-semester program.
-  Archived 2009-08-02 at the Wayback MachineSoftware engineering description at University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, Scotland.
-  "A proposed 4-year software engineering curriculum", Randall W. Jensen, Hughes Aircraft Company, Charles C. Tonies, Hughes Aircraft Company, William I. Fletcher, Utah State University
- "UVa-Wise's Software Engineering Degree Information". Department of Mathematics & Computer Science at The University of Virginia College at Wise. Retrieved 2010-04-01.
-  "Teaching Software Engineering through Simulation", Emily Oh and André van der Hoek Institute for Software Research University of California, Irvine
- [permanent dead link] Software engineering prospects over a decade from 2006 to 2016
- "Software Developers, Quality Assurance Analysts, and Testers : Occupational Outlook Handbook: : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics".
- Mann, Amar; Nunes, Tony (August 2009). "After the Dot-Com Bubble: Silicon Valley High-Tech Employment and Wages in 2001 and 2008" (PDF). Regional Report, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics: 1–8. Retrieved 29 September 2020.
- "STEM Attrition: College Students' Paths into and Out of STEM Fields". 26 November 2013.
- "The STEM Crisis is a Myth". 30 August 2013.
- "HP Developers Portal | HP International Women's Week: Women in Computer Science dropping since 1980s".
- Theresa Beaubouef and John Mason, Why the high attrition rate for computer science students: some thoughts and observations., ACM SIGCSE Bulletin, 2005
- "Computer Programmers : Occupational Outlook Handbook: : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics". www.bls.gov.
- "Bachelor of Software Engineering". timeandupdate.com. 7 January 2018. Retrieved 2018-01-08.
- "ADB report on Bangladesh: Computer and Software Engineering Tertiary Education" (PDF). adb.org/. Retrieved 2021-11-05.
- "IIT University of Dhaka". du.ac.bd/. 5 January 2016. Retrieved 2021-11-05.