Bachelor of Software Engineering
A Bachelor of Software Engineering (B.SE.) is an undergraduate academic degree (bachelor's degree) awarded for completing a program of study in the field of software development for computers in information technology.
A three/four year degree
This section needs additional citations for verification. (March 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The course syllabus of software engineering has been heavily debated and still is. Institutions will often offer slightly differing course structures, many may have a stronger focus on mathematical foundations for example.
- Computer Programming
- Program design
- Computer Systems analysis
- Fundamentals of Hardware
- Computer Architecture
- Professional Awareness
- Mathematics for Computing
- Introduction to Databases
- Academic skills for computing
The first year is designed to build up a solid base of knowledge essential to any computing degree. The following years offer students more flexibility, allowing them to choose their classes from a range of related subjects. It is only in the later years that the course really differs from other Computer Science degrees. Students usually take a work placement between years 3 and 4, greatly expanding their skills and allowing them an insight into the current industry.
In following years a software engineering student will often have a much stronger focus on Software systems and data management. The inclusion of human factors in a software engineering degree has been heavily debated, arguing that products of software engineers often are too difficult to use by consumers.
Sample B.S. in Software Engineering Degree Information from the University of Virginia - Wise
Core SWE Requirements:
- Introduction to Software Engineering
- Software Requirements & Modeling
- Software Design & Construction
- Software Testing, Verification, and Validation
- Software Quality Assurance
- Software Project Management
- Software Configuration Management
- Fundamentals of Programming
- Data Structures
- Introduction to Algorithms
- Operating Systems
- Computer Architecture
- Programming Languages
- Human - Computer Interaction
- Discrete Mathematics
- Database Designing
- Probability & Statistics
- Calculus I
- Calculus II
- Calculus III
- Linear Algebra
- Boolean Algebra
General skills acquired through a Bachelor's degree course in Software Engineering
Employers generally seek applicants with strong programming, systems analysis and business skills.
"A large difference exists between the software engineering skills taught at a typical university or college and the skills that are desired of a software engineer by a typical software development organization. At the heart of this difference seems to be the way software engineering is typically introduced to students: general theory is presented in a series of lectures and put into (limited) practice in an associated class project."
Graduate prospects are projected to be excellent with the amount of software engineers in the industry estimated to rise by roughly 38% from 2006 to 2016, with total real wage in the industry increasing by an estimated 38.2%.
Pakistan and Nepal etc
In Pakistan and Nepal, Bachelor of Engineering in Software Engineering (BE Software) is a 8-semester course of study. This degree is provided by Virtual University of Pakistan and Pokhara University Nepal. The degree is awarded to those who successfully complete an eight-semester program.
- Software engineering description at University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, Scotland.
-  "A proposed 4-year software engineering curriculum", Randall W. Jensen, Hughes Aircraft Company, Charles C. Tonies, Hughes Aircraft Company, William I. Fletcher, Utah State University
- "UVa-Wise's Software Engineering Degree Information". Department of Mathematics & Computer Science at The University of Virginia College at Wise. Retrieved 2010-04-01.
-  "Teaching Software Engineering through Simulation", Emily Oh and André van der Hoek Institute for Software Research University of California, Irvine
- [permanent dead link] Software engineering prospects over a decade from 2006 to 2016
- "Bachelor of Software Engineering". timeandupdate.com. Retrieved 2018-01-08.