Back to the 80s (song)
|"Back to the 80s"|
|Single by Aqua|
|from the album Greatest Hits|
|Released||25 May 2009|
|Writer(s)||Søren Rasted, Claus Norreen|
|Aqua singles chronology|
"Back to the 80s" is a song by Norwegian/Danish band Aqua. The song was written by members Søren Rasted, Claus Norreen, and produced by Rasted, for their second greatest hits album (2009). "Back to the 80s" was Aqua's first single in eight years, following the release of the 2001 single "We Belong to the Sea".
"Back to the 80s" was released on 25 May 2009 as the lead single from Greatest Hits.
Background and composition
The track name checks a number of 1980s icons, such as Ronald Reagan, orbital satellites, skinny leather ties, Don Johnson, Miami Vice, M&M's, Michael Jackson, Commodore 64s, Soap, Rocky, Cherry Coke, Mr. T, Twisted Sister, MTV, Iron Maiden, 7 Up, Bananarama, The Breakfast Club, Huey Lewis, Top Gun, shoulder pads, David Hasselhoff, glam metal, Bill Cosby, the Rubik's Cube, Dynasty, Moon Boots, Devo, Bubble Curls, Poltergeist, Barbie (alluding to Aqua's signature song "Barbie Girl" from 1997), and Ferris Bueller's Day Off.
Upon international release of the single, the group decided to change the line "When M&M was just a snack and Michael Jackson's skin was black" from the original Danish release to "When M&M was just a snack and Arnie told us I'll be back". They decided on this, out of respect to Jackson, who died only a month after the single was released.
In mid-May it was announced that a video was being made. Due to a lengthy post-production process, the video didn't hit the internet until 10 June 2009. The video features the group in front of a variety of green screen created backgrounds, dressed in 1980s rocker fashions. The video is presented in "Aquascope", returning to the Aquarium-era tradition.
"Back to the 80s" debuted on 5 June 2009 at number one on both the Danish Singles Chart and Airplay Chart. It claimed the mark for most weekly plays on Danish radio with 585. In Norway it debuted at number 8 on the official Norwegian Singles Chart. The single spent six weeks at No. 1 in Denmark and peaked at No. 3 in Norway and at No. 25 in Sweden.
|Danish / UK CD promo|
|1.||"Back to the 80s"||3:44|
|French CD single|
|1.||"Back to the 80s" (Radio Edit)||3:44|
|2.||"Back to the 80s" ((D.J Tool's) Remix 2009)||René Dif, Michael Parsberg||5:28|
|3.||"Back to the 80s" (Fugitive's Retro Mastermix)||Kenny Hayes||5:26|
|UK digital download|
|1.||"Back to the 80s"||3:46|
|2.||"Back to the 80s" (Fugitive's Retro Mestermix)||Kenny Hayes||5:26|
Charts and certifications
"Fairytale" by Alexander Rybak
|Danish Singles Chart number-one single
5 June 2009 – 17 July 2009
"Kun for dig" by Medina featuring L.O.C.
Credits and personnel
- Lyrics: Søren Rasted, Claus Norreen
- Music: Søren Rasted
- Producer: Søren Rasted in Elektron Studio
- Engineer: Nicolaj Rasted
- Guitars: Peter Düring
- Drums: Thomas Troelsen, Søren Rasted
- Keyboards: Claus Norreen, Søren Rasted
- Lead vocals: Lene Nystrøm, René Dif
- Backing vocals: Søren Rasted
- Mixing: Lars Overgaard at Audio Mix
- Mastering: Jan Eliasson at Audio Planet
- Aqua retter i teksten, 14 August 2009
- "Back To The 80s gets a CD release in France". Aquarama.tk. Retrieved 2009-11-09.
- Strøyer, Rasmus (10 June 2009). "Alle elsker Aqua" (in Danish). DR. Retrieved 2 October 2013.
- Aqua - Back To The 80s (CD, Single, Promo) at Discogs
- Aqua - Back To The 80s (CD, Single) at Discogs
- Aqua - Back To The 80s MP3 Downloads - 7digital
- "Danishcharts.com – Aqua – Back to the 80's". Tracklisten.
- "Airplay Top-20 – Uge 26 - 2009". hitlisterne.dk. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
- "Bit Track Top-20 – Uge 33 - 2009". hitlisterne.dk. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
- "Back To The 80's - Aqua (Danish Digital Songs chart history)". Billboard Biz. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
- "Ringtoner Top-10 – Uge 26 - 2009". hitlisterne.dk. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
- "Lescharts.com – Aqua – Back to the 80's" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Aqua – Back to the 80's". VG-lista.
- "Back To The 80's - Aqua (Norway Digital Songs chart history)". Billboard Biz. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
- "DigiListan 2009-08-02" (in Swedish). Sveriges Radio. Retrieved 17 November 2013.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Aqua – Back to the 80's". Singles Top 100.
- "Danish single certifications – Aqua – Back to the 80's". IFPI Denmark. Click on næste to go to page 33 if certification from official website
- "Norwegian single certifications – Aqua – Back to the 80's" (in Norwegian). IFPI Norway.
- on YouTube