|Other name(s)||Wiener Lokalbahn|
|Locale||Vienna metropolitan area|
|Line length||30.4 km (18.9 mi)|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8+1⁄2 in) standard gauge|
The Badner Bahn or Wiener Lokalbahn is a tram-train service in the metropolitan area of Vienna. It runs for 30.4 kilometres (18.9 mi) between Vienna and Baden, and is operated by the Wiener Lokalbahnen Aktiengesellschaft. The entire Badner Bahn is part of the Verkehrsverbund Ost-Region and is one of the most important passenger services owned by WLB. In 2013, 35,000 passengers per day used the service.
Starting from the Vienna State Opera, the service uses the tracks of Vienna's tram network as far as the Schedifkaplatz tram stop in the Meidling district, including parts of a pre-metro tram tunnel. From Schedifkaplatz to Leesdorf in Baden and between Leesdorf and Josefsplatz, the train service has its own infrastructure, 25 kilometres (16 mi) of double-track light rail and 2 kilometres (1.2 mi) of tram line, respectively. These tracks are owned and maintained by Wiener Lokalbahnen.
Since 14 December 2014, there is a new train station at the state clinical center (German: Landesklinikum) in Baden. Despite its addition to the route, the length of a journey could be kept at 62 minutes.
Most trainsets currently in use are class 100 high-floor units built between 1979 and 1993 by Simmering-Graz-Pauker. 26 of these were ordered, and 2 discharged in 2010 because of problems obtaining replacement parts. Although it would be technically possible to use trains consisting of up to three class 100 units, there are currently only single-unit and double-unit trains. Additionally, there are 14 low-floor class 400 units built between 2000 and 2010 by Bombardier in operation (often as double-unit trains with a class 100 unit).
|100||1979, 1983, 1987, 1989, 1991–1993||101–126||26||26.750 m||2.40 m||37 t||2 x 190 kW||80 km/h (limited to 78 km/h)|
|400||2000, 2006, 2009–2010||401–414||14||26.942 m||2.50 m||35 t||4 x 100 kW||80 km/h|
trainset from Cologne
class 100 and 400 trainsets
- "Partner & Links" (in German). Verkehrsverbund Ost-Region. Archived from the original on 28 June 2014. Retrieved 1 July 2014.
- "Ausbau der Badner Bahn für Pendler". APA-OTS (in German). 23 January 2013. Retrieved 1 July 2014.
- "Personenverkehr" (in German). Wiener Lokalbahnen. Archived from the original on 14 July 2014. Retrieved 1 July 2014.
- "Fahrplanwechsel bringt Verbesserung für Fahrgäste" (in German). Wiener Lokalbahnen. 24 November 2014. Archived from the original on 16 December 2014. Retrieved 16 December 2014.
- "Letzte vier T400 an die Wiener Lokalbahnen ausgeliefert". LOK Report (in German). 2010. Archived from the original on August 24, 2010. Retrieved 1 July 2014.