February 6, 1988 |
Anderson, South Carolina
|Occupation||stage, television actress, singer, dancer|
Bailey Noel Hanks (born February 6, 1988) is an American singer, actress, and dancer best known for winning MTV's Legally Blonde: The Musical – The Search for Elle Woods. She performed on Broadway as Elle Woods in Legally Blonde: The Musical in 2008.
Early life and career
Hanks was born on February 6, 1988 in Anderson, South Carolina, to Brad and Angie Hanks. She has one older sister, Brooke, and one younger sister, Bradlee. Her father is a pastor and youth minister in addition to being a highway patrolman, while her mother is a nurse. Hanks attended Westside High School in Anderson. She transferred to and graduated from Pendleton High School in 2006.
Hanks performed the National Anthem for president Bill Clinton in 2000, at age 12.
Growing up in the local theater, her notable appearances were as Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz; Gertrude McFuzz in Seussical the Musical; Elle Woods in Legally Blonde; Baby June in Gypsy; Hello, Dolly!; Music Man; A Year With Frog and Toad; Annie; Bye Bye Birdie; A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum; and High Steppin' Country. Bailey studied under Sarah Reese, an esteemed former opera singer.
Bailey was also crowned Miss Liberty Teen 2005, and competed in the Miss SC Teen Pageant.
In 2012, Hanks tweeted out a photo of her lunch at Chick-fil-A, which some interpreted as a statement of support for the chain's anti-gay marriage stance. Some fellow Broadway performers condemned her action, including John Carroll, who wrote an opinion piece in The Advocate critical of Hanks with the title "Gays Giveth and Gays Taketh Away".
Hanks currently resides in Piedmont, South Carolina.
On March 15, 2014 she married Jason Weidman in Central, SC, and then honeymooned at the tropical Barceló Punta Cana Resort in the Dominican Republic.
- Legally Blonde: The Musical, Broadway, July 23 - October 19, 2008
- High School Musical, Paper Mill Playhouse, November 5 - December 7, 2008
- VOTE!, New York International Fringe Festival, August 14–26, 2009
- Freckleface Strawberry (reading) Manhattan Movement Arts Center, September 2009- Role of Emily
- 9 to 5: The Musical Role of Doralee Rhodes Roxy Regional Theater, September and October 2012
- Legally Blonde: The Musical – The Search for Elle Woods (2008)
- Guiding Light (2009)
- Meet the Browns (2010)
- Step Up 3D, 2010
- Desk, BWW News. "Bailey Hanks Wins MTV Competition And Will Be Next Elle Woods!". broadwayworld.com. Retrieved 5 December 2016.
- Hetrick, Adam (2008-07-21). "Omigod! Bailey is New Star of Broadway's Legally Blonde; Three Finalists Also Land Roles". Playbill. Archived from the original on 24 July 2008. Retrieved 2008-07-22.
- Blonde's Hanks Will Star in Paper Mill's High School Musical
- "Legally Blonde's Bailey Hanks to Appear on CBS' GUIDING LIGHT", broadwayworld.com, February 20, 2009
- "'Step Up' listing" imdb.com, retrieved April 12, 2010
- Carroll, John (August 10, 2012). "Gays Giveth and Gays Taketh Away: An Open Letter to Bailey Hanks".
- "Bailey & Jason's Wedding Website". ourwedding.com. Retrieved 5 December 2016.
- Hetrick, Adam. "Hanks, Goodwin, Karr and Beard Cast in VOTE! for FringeNYC" Playbill.com, July 13, 2009, accessed December 5, 2016
-  roxyregionaltheatre.org