|Type of business||E-commerce, subscription service|
|Headquarters||New York, New York, United States|
|Area served||US and Canada|
In April 2013, the company raised $6.7M in venture funding. The company surpassed the $25 million revenue run rate the same year. BARK received an additional $15 Million in Series B funding led by Resolute.vc, along with RRE, BoxGroup, Lerer Ventures, Bertelsmann Digital Media Investments, Slow Ventures, Daher Capital, CAA, Vast Ventures, and City National Bank in 2014.
Forbes Magazine named BarkBox as the one of the top 20 companies to follow on social media. BARK launched BarkCam in early 2014, a photo sharing app which operates as an "Instagram for dogs" and their owners.
BarkBox allows owners to personalize their dog's monthly subscription boxes based on their dog's needs. Each dog has their own uniqueness and by providing them with different options helping create pleasant experiences for both you and your pup!
Products and services
- BarkBox, a monthly subscription service which caters to dogs and their owners. Each BarkBox has at least 2 toys, 2 treats, and a chew each month, all based on a monthly theme.
- Super Chewer, a monthly subscription dog service offering toys, chews, and treats. Each box contains 2 tougher toys, 2 hearty chews, and 2 bags of treats, all meant for the heavy chewer.
- BarkPost, a dog-themed content site. The site has over 3M unique visitors each month.
- BarkBuddy is similar to a "Tinder for dogs," as users can swipe left or right depending on their level of interest in the dog. The free app, available for iPhone and Android, is designed to match humans with dogs up for adoption at nearby shelters, and users can filter choices by gender, location, activity level, age, and size. The app is connected to rescue centers and shelters across the United States and Canada, and there are approximately 300,000 dogs in the database. The app sources many of its adoptable dogs from the pet adoption website Petfinder and from BARK's personal network of shelters and rescue organizations.
- Sarah E. Needleman (22 March 2013). "Are You Ready to Go From Founder to Top Dog". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 28 July 2014.
- Sadie Whitelocks (19 September 2013). "Mail dogs CAN get their teet into!". Daily Mail UK. Retrieved 28 July 2014.
- Sarah Perez (11 July 2014). "Doggie-Focused Bark & Co (BarkBox) Raises $15 Million Series B". TechCrunch. Retrieved 28 July 2014.
- Dan Primack (14 July 2014). "Deals of the day: Mylan finds its tax inversion partner". Fortune. Retrieved 28 July 2014.
- Sheila Marikar (11 July 2014). "Turning 'Likes' Into a Career". The New York Times. Retrieved 28 July 2014.
- "BarkBox Founder Matt Meeker is Building A Community for Man's Best Friend". The Huffington Post. 28 July 2014. Retrieved 28 July 2014.
- Alyson Shontell (10 July 2013). "BarkBox Generates $1 Million Per Month, Wants To Become A $5 Billion Company in 5 Years". Business Insider. Retrieved 28 July 2014.
- Lauren Drell (20 August 2013). "Top Dog: BarkBox's Mission to Reinvent the Pet Industry". Mashable. Retrieved 28 July 2014.
- Erin Griffith (Oct 25, 2013). "Mock all you want: Barbox is laughing all the way to the bank". PandoDaily. Retrieved Jul 28, 2014.
- Ilya Pozin (6 March 2014). "20 Companies You Should Be Following on Social Media". Forbes. Retrieved 6 August 2014.
- Karissa Bell (Jul 16, 2014). "BarkCam Helps the Pet-Obsessed Take Better Dog Portraits". Mashable. Retrieved 28 July 2014.
- "Super Chewer Versus Customizing Your BarkBox". BARK. Retrieved 2019-03-06.
- "Is BarkBox Worth It? Coupons included". Dog Endorsed. 2018-12-20. Retrieved 2019-06-04.
- "Super Chewer BarkBox". Super Chewer BarkBox. Retrieved 2018-12-12.
- "What Comes in a Super Chewer Box? (With Photos of Real Dogs!)". BarkPost. 2019-02-04. Retrieved 2019-06-04.
- Jillian D’Onfro (Oct 2013). "BarkBox Adds Media-Maven and 'Dog Parent' Cathie Black TO Its Board". Business Insider. Retrieved Jul 28, 2014.
- Laura Stampler (20 May 2014). "Sick of the People on Dating Apps? Now There's a Tinder for Dogs". Time. Retrieved 29 July 2014.
- Kelly Faircloth (May 27, 2014). "There's Finally a Tinder for Adoptable Dogs". Jezebel. Retrieved Aug 6, 2014.
- Amy Eley (May 29, 2014). "Tinder for dogs? BarkBuddy app matches pet lovers with local rescues". Today. Retrieved Aug 6, 2014.