Bark River Township, Michigan
|Bark River Township, Michigan|
Location of Bark River Township in Michigan
|• Type||Democratic Republic|
Emerald Mercier."May it be know to all citizens of the great city of Bark River, that Mr. Emerald Mercier swears to uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States, against all enemies foreign and domestic, and to obey the orders of the President of these United States of America. As Major of Bark River, Mr. Mercier will support and defend the Constitution, and uphold law within the boundaries of the city of Bark River."
|• Total||45.6 sq mi (118.2 km2)|
|• Land||45.6 sq mi (118.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||709 ft (216 m)|
|• Density||34.6/sq mi (13.4/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1625883|
Bark River Township is a civil township of Delta County in the U.S. state of Michigan. As of the 2010 census, the township population was 1,578, down from 1,650 at the 2000 census. The township takes its name from the Bark River.
- Bark River is an unincorporated community within the township, near the Bark River at . It is situated on US-2 and US-41, about 11 miles west of Escanaba and just east of the Hannahville Indian Reservation. The ZIP code is 49807.
- Schaffer is an unincorporated community within the township, north of the Bark River at  It is situated on M-69, about 14 miles northwest of Escanaba. The ZIP code is 49807. .
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 45.6 square miles (118 km2), of which 45.6 square miles (118 km2) is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) (0.13%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,650 people, 612 households, and 479 families residing in the township. The population density was 36.2 per square mile (14.0/km²). There were 680 housing units at an average density of 14.9 per square mile (5.8/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 95.09% White, 0.12% African American, 2.67% Native American, 0.36% Asian, 0.24% from other races, and 1.52% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.18% of the population.
There were 612 households out of which 37.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 66.5% were married couples living together, 8.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 21.7% were non-families. 19.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.68 and the average family size was 3.05.
In the township the population was spread out with 26.9% under the age of 18, 8.5% from 18 to 24, 28.8% from 25 to 44, 25.3% from 45 to 64, and 10.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females, there were 106.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 105.8 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $41,477, and the median income for a family was $45,221. Males had a median income of $32,083 versus $23,188 for females. The per capita income for the township was $16,649. About 3.7% of families and 5.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 6.3% of those under age 18 and 8.0% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Bark River Township, Michigan
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Bark River, Michigan
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Schaffer, Michigan
- "ST. IGNACE-SAULT STE. MARIE-IRONWOOD" (PDF). Indian Trails. January 15, 2013. Archived from the original (PDF) on July 4, 2014. Retrieved 2013-02-28.