|VTA light rail station|
Bascom Station platform, 2006
|Location||2051 Southwest Expressway
San Jose, California
|Connections||Bus Routes 61, 62|
Bascom is a light rail station operated by Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority (VTA). The station has a single center platform between two trackways. Bascom is served by the Mountain View–Winchester light rail line.
Address: 2051 Southwest Expressway, San Jose, CA 95126
Nearest cross-street: Bascom Avenue
Geographic coordinates: 37° 17' 58.7" North, 121° 55' 48.3" West
Platforms and tracks
|Union Pacific||■ Freight branch line||No passenger service|
|VTA Northbound||■ Mountain View–Winchester||toward Mountain View (Fruitdale)|
|VTA Southbound||■ Mountain View–Winchester||toward Winchester (Hamilton)|
"San Jose artist Diana Pumpelly Bates has created metal screens for the shelters that provide visual interest for passengers at the stations as well as for motorists and pedestrians passing by the stations. The patterns are a reminder of woven baskets created by the valley’s early inhabitants."
Bascom station was built as part of the Vasona Light Rail extension project. This project extended VTA light rail service from the intersection of Woz Way and West San Carlos St in San Jose in a southwesterly direction to the Winchester station in western Campbell.
The official opening date for this station was October 1, 2005.
The construction of this station and the rest of the Vasona Light Rail extension was part of the 1996 Measure B Transportation Improvement Program. Santa Clara County voters approved the Measure B project in 1996 along with a one half percent sales tax increase. The Vasona Light Rail extension was funded mostly by the resulting sales tax revenues with additional money coming from federal and state funding, grants, VTA bond revenues, and municipal contributions.
Nearby points of interest
- Los Gatos Creek Trail trailhead - 1 block away - Bascom Avenue, south of Southwest Expressway
- VTA Bus Route 62 - Good Samaritan Hospital to Penitencia Creek Transit Center
- "Bascom Station". Vasona Light Rail Extension. Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority. 2008-05-12. Archived from the original on 29 October 2008. Retrieved 2008-11-16.
- "Vasona Project Description". Completed projects. Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority. 2008-09-15. Retrieved 2008-11-16.
- "Making the Light Rail Connection: Expanded Service Adds 5.3 miles to System". Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority. 2005-10-01. Retrieved 2008-11-16.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bascom (VTA).|