Bass Highway (Victoria)
|Length||87 km (54 mi)|
|Major settlements||Grantville, Kilcunda, Wonthaggi, Inverloch|
|Highways in Australia
National Highway • Freeways in Australia
Highways in Victoria
The Bass Highway is an 87 kilometre highway in Victoria, Australia and branches off the South Gippsland Highway at the township of Lang Lang. It runs south, along the eastern shore of Western Port to Anderson where a road turns west toward Phillip Island. The Bass Highway continues easterly to Kilcunda, Wonthaggi and Inverloch, then turns north-easterly to rejoin the South Gippsland Highway at Leongatha. Previously assigned State Route 181, it was later designated M420 for the dual carriageway sections and A420 for the single carriageway sections between the South Gippsland Highway near Lang Lang and the Phillip Island turn-off, then designated B460 onwards. The road was named due to its proximity to Bass Strait.
Duplication towards Phillip Island
A project which has commenced in the late 1990s, duplication of the highway along the Bass Highway from Lang Lang to Anderson (east of Phillip Island) is nearing completion. This project was constructed to address the high traffic demand of the route and recent crash history. It was constructed in seven stages, with Stage 7 of the project from Woolmer Road to Phillip Island Road completed in 2013.
The benefits of this project include:
- reduced travel times to Phillip Island which hosts some of Victoria's favourite tourist and sporting attractions
- eliminating the roundabout at Anderson, and providing a direct route between Melbourne and Phillip Island
- bypassing a winding section of Phillip Island Road and providing two added lanes along Bass Highway. This will help address the crash history in this area. There have been 13 crashes in a recent five-year period.
- an overpass, which will be constructed near Netherwood will provide smoother and safer movements at the connection of the Bass Highway and the new link road, for Phillip Island and Wonthaggi-bound traffic
- helping traffic to exit Phillip Island after major events such as the MotoGP
The project was completed in 2013.
|Cardinia||Lang Lang||0||0||South Gippsland Highway (M420 north / A440 south-east) – Melbourne, Leongatha||North-western highway terminus; combined partial y interchange and at-grade intersection for complete access|
|Bass Coast||The Gurdies||9.9||6.2||Gurdies–St Helier Road – Woodleigh|
|Grantville||15.0||9.3||Grantville–Glen Alvie Road east / Pier Road west – Kernot, Almurta, Grantville||Traffic light intersection|
|Corinella–Glen Forbes boundary||19.1||11.9||Corinella Road (C436) west / Glen Forbes Road east – Corinella, Coronet Bay, Glen Forbes|
|Bass||28.8||17.9||Phillip Island Link Road (B420) – Phillip Island||Partial y interchange: no access between Phillip Island Link Road and Bass Highway south of interchange; Route transition: M420 continues south as B460|
|Anderson||31.0||19.3||Phillip Island Road – Phillip Island||Roundabout|
|Wonthaggi||47.9||29.8||Korumburra Road (C437) – Kongwak, Korumburra|
|48.3||30.0||Graham Street west to Cape Paterson Road (C435) / McKenzie Street south – Cape Paterson, Wonthaggi||Roundabout|
|Inverloch||59.9||37.2||Korumburra–Inverloch Road (C441) – Korumburra, Inverloch|
|60.9||37.8||William Street (C442) south / Inverloch–Venus Bay Road (C442) east – Inverloch, Cape Paterson Venus Bay||Roundabout|
|South Gippsland||Leongatha||86.4||53.7||South Gippsland Highway (A440) south-east & north-west to Strzelecki Highway (B460) north-east – Melbourne, Morwell, Foster||North-eastern highway terminus; roundabout|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- State Route 181 - Bass Highway, Main Roads Victoria. Retrieved on 8 September 2013.[self-published source]
- South Gippsland Freeway, South Gippsland Highway, Bass Highway & Phillip Island Road (M/A/B420), Expressway - Paul Rands. Retrieved on 8 September 2013.[self-published source]
- http://expressway.paulrands.com/gallery/roads/vic/numbered/alphanumeric/b460/, Expressway - Paul Rands. Retrieved on 8 September 2013.[self-published source]
- Bass Highway Duplication – Lang Lang to Anderson, VicRoads. Retrieved on 8 September 2013.
- Google (10 April 2014). "Bass Highway (Victoria)" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 10 April 2014.