Beargrass Creek State Nature Preserve
|Beargrass Creek State Nature Preserve|
Map of Kentucky
|Location||Louisville, Kentucky, United States|
|Area||41 acres (17 ha)|
|Established||February 17, 1982|
|Governing body||Kentucky State Nature Preserves Commission|
Beargrass Creek State Nature Preserve is a 41-acre (17 ha) nature preserve in Louisville, Kentucky's Poplar Level neighborhood, in roughly the central portion of the city. It is named for Beargrass Creek, the south fork of which passes along the northern side of the preserve. The preserve is adjacent to Louisville's Joe Creason Park and the Louisville Nature Center. It is owned by the Kentucky State Nature Preserves Commission and the LNC assists with management.
The preserve includes 2 miles (3.2 km) of walking trails, which cross wetlands and a ridge top. There are also 180 species of trees, shrubs and wildflowers. It is managed by the Louisville Nature Center, which is located on the west side of the preserve in a building which opened in 1997. The center claims it is "one of the largest inner-city nature preserves" in the United States. The preserve and nature center run on about a $90,000 annual budget, and in May 2007 reported about $100,000 in operational debt.
In 1982, the State Nature Preserves Commission purchased a 41-acre (17 ha) wooded tract that became the preserve. It was a part of the Collings estate (which became Joe Creason Park) that had been acquired by the Archdiocese of Louisville in 1960.
- "Beargrass Creek State Nature Preserve". Kentucky State Nature Preserves Commission. Retrieved January 25, 2015.
- Stahl, Linda (July 17, 2003). "New trails put nature lovers in center's loop". Courier-Journal.
- Smith, Scheri (December 6, 2004). "Art auction at Nature Center aids preserve". Courier-Journal.
- Smith, Scheri (May 2, 2007). "Cash-strapped nature center needs $100,000 for expenses". Courier-Journal.
- "History of Joe Creason Park". Louisville Metro Parks. Retrieved October 5, 2008.
- Kentucky State Nature Preserves Commission - Beargrass Creek State Nature Preserve page
- Trail Map
- Louisville Nature Center
|This Louisville-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Jefferson County, Kentucky state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to a protected area in Kentucky is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|