Quebec Route 138 in Beaupré
Location within La Côte-de-Beaupré RCM.
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|Constituted||April 23, 1928|
|• Mayor||Pierre Renaud|
|• Federal riding||Beauport—Côte-de-Beaupré—Île d'Orléans—Charlevoix|
|• Prov. riding||Charlevoix–Côte-de-Beaupré|
|• Total||26.90 km2 (10.39 sq mi)|
|• Land||22.66 km2 (8.75 sq mi)|
|• Density||151.7/km2 (393/sq mi)|
|• Pop 2006-2011||14.4%|
|Time zone||EST (UTC−5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC−4)|
|Area code(s)||418 and 581|
|Highways|| Route 138
Beaupré is a ville in the Canadian province of Quebec, located in La Côte-de-Beaupré Regional County Municipality. The town is along the Saint Lawrence River and Route 138 at the mouth of the Sainte-Anne-du-Nord River.
Mont-Sainte-Anne, the highest skiing station in the eastern part of Canada, is located in Beaupré. It also one of the town's major sport attractions.
The area has been inhabited since the beginning of the New France colony. In the 17th century, Breton sailors, when landing on the coastal plains, reputedly exclaimed: "Oh! le beau pré" ("Oh! the beautiful meadow"). The fused form of Beaupré has been in use since at least 1636 when the Beaupré Company was established. Its parish formed out of two of the oldest parishes of Quebec, Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré and Saint-Joachim. In 1928, the place was incorporated as the Parish Municipality of Notre-Dame-du-Rosaire but its name was changed to Beaupré that same year in order to avoid confusion with several other namesake parishes.
In 1962, the parish municipality gained town status and became Ville de Beaupré.
- Population in 2011: 3439 (2006 to 2011 population change: 14.4%)
- Population in 2006: 3006 (2001 to 2006 population change: 8.9%)
- Population in 2001: 2761
- Population in 1996: 2799
- Population in 1991: 2676
Private dwellings occupied by usual residents: 1,425 (total dwellings: 1,923)
- English as first language: 1.6%
- French as first language: 95.9%
- English and French as first language: 0%
- Other as first language: 2.5%
- "Beaupré (Ville)" (in French). Commission de toponymie du Québec. Retrieved 2010-04-27.
- Ministère des Affaires municipales, des Régions et de l'Occupation du territoire - Répertoire des municipalités: Beaupré
- Statistics Canada 2011 Census - Beaupré census profile
- Statistics Canada: 1996, 2001, 2006, 2011 census