Before the Storm (Samson album)
|Before the Storm|
|Studio album by|
|Studio||Music Works Studios, London|
|Genre||Hard rock, heavy metal|
|Collector's Guide to Heavy Metal||9/10|
Before the Storm is the fourth studio album by British heavy metal band Samson. It was released in 1982, with the new vocalist Nicky Moore. He was recruited to replace Bruce Dickinson after his departure, to join Iron Maiden. The drummer Mel Gaynor was also replaced by Pete Jupp, when Gaynor left to join Simple Minds.
Before The Storm was included in the 3-disc The Polydor Years, issued by Caroline International in 2017. The set also includes the Don't Get Mad, Get Even album and a third CD with various B-sides, live and studio rarities.
- Side one
- "Dangerzone" (Paul Samson, Chris Aylmer, Nicky Moore) - 5:24
- "Stealing Away" (Samson, Aylmer, Moore) - 4:22
- "Red Skies" (Samson, Bruce Dickinson, Aylmer, Thunderstick) - 3:46
- "I'll Be 'Round" (Samson, Aylmer, Moore, Pete Jupp) - 3:14
- "Test of Time" (Samson, Aylmer, Moore, Jupp) - 4:09
- Side two
- "Life on the Run" (Samson, Aylmer, Moore, Jupp) - 4:01
- "Turn Out the Lights" (Samson, Dickinson, Aylmer, Thunderstick) - 4:02
- "Losing My Grip" (Samson, Dickinson, Aylmer, Thunderstick) - 3:29
- "Young Idea" (Samson, Aylmer, Moore, Jupp) - 7:24
- "Running Out of Time" (Samson, Aylmer, Moore)
- "Driving with Z.Z." (Samson, Aylmer, Moore, Jupp)
- "Living, Loving, Lying" (Samson, Aylmer, Moore, Jupp)
- "Pyramid to the Stars" (Samson, Dickinson, Aylmer, Thunderstick)
- "Front Page News" (Samson, Aylmer, Moore, Jupp)
- "Riding with the Angels" (Russ Ballard)
- Ian Gibbons - keyboards
- Jo Julian - synthesizers on "Dangerzone", producer, engineer
- Jo Julian - producer, engineer
- Ian Cooper - mastering at The Townhouse, London
The song "I'll Be 'Round" was originally written with Dickinson and appears as "Gravy Train" on the Live at Reading '81 album. Nicky Moore would re-write the lyrics for the re-worked Before the Storm studio version.
2-track recordings of "Red Skies" and "Turn Out the Lights" from a June 1981 rehearsal, with Dickinson on vocals, are included as bonus tracks on the 2001 Castle Music re-issue and the 2017 Dissonance Productions edition of Live at Reading 81.
The original version of "Losing My Grip", recorded with Dickinson during the Shock Tactics sessions in early 1981 but left unreleased for two decades, can be found on the 2001 Castle Music re-issue and the 2017 Dissonance Productions edition of Shock Tactics.
- Rivadavia, Eduardo. "Samson - Before the Storm review". AllMusic. All Media Network. Retrieved 2015-07-01.
- Popoff, Martin (1 November 2005). The Collector's Guide to Heavy Metal: Volume 2: The Eighties. Burlington, Ontario, Canada: Collector's Guide Publishing. p. 306. ISBN 978-1894959315.
- Molten Metal CD MM53302-2
|This 1980s metal album–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|