Belfast International Airport Constabulary
|Belfast International Airport Constabulary|
|Legal personality||Non-government: Privately held company|
|Legal jurisdiction||Land owned by the Belfast International Airport|
|Governing body||Belfast International Airport Authority|
|Headquarters||Airport Police Station, Airport Road, Aldergrove, BT29 4AB|
The Belfast International Airport Constabulary (BIAC) is a small, specialised police force responsible for providing policing to the Belfast International Airport in Aldergrove, Northern Ireland. Officers employed by the force as empowered to act as Constables in accordance with the Airport (Northern Ireland) Order 1994 whilst on land owned or controlled by the airport. The Belfast International Airport Constabulary is the last remaining privately funded airport police force in the United Kingdom, however airport forces still operate in the Republic of Ireland and the Isle of Man.
Officers of the Belfast International Airport Constabulary are employees of the airport authority. Like all police agencies operating in Northern Ireland, they are subject to oversight from the Police Ombudsman for Northern Ireland. Any serious incidents taking place at the airport are automatically passed to the local territorial police force, the Police Service of Northern Ireland.
Weapons and equipment
Officers are equipped with Glock 17 pistols, identical to those issued by the Police Service of Northern Ireland and Belfast Harbour Police. The force also issues extendable batons, PAVA spray, rigid handcuffs and body worn video cameras.
- Airport policing in the United Kingdom
- List of law enforcement agencies in the United Kingdom
- Law enforcement in the United Kingdom
- "The Airports (Northern Ireland) Order 1994". Legislation.gov.uk. Retrieved 6 October 2017.
- "British Police History". British-police-history.uk. Retrieved 6 October 2017.
- "Airport Police Service & Security - Dublin Airport". Dublinairport.com. Retrieved 6 October 2017.
- "Isle of Man Government - Airport safety and security". Gov.im. Retrieved 6 October 2017.
- "Police (Northern Ireland) Act 2000". Legislation.gov.uk. Retrieved 6 October 2017.
- "Airport Police get body-worn video cams - Belfast International Airport". Belfastairport.com. Retrieved 6 October 2017.
|This Northern Ireland–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This United Kingdom law enforcement agency article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|