- "Belle Vista" redirects here. For Belle Vista, Florida, see St. Pete Beach.
Lambert Castle in the fall of 2005
|Location||Valley Road in Garret Mountain Reservation, Paterson, New Jersey|
|Area||less than one acre|
|NRHP Reference #||76001180|
|Added to NRHP||June 3, 1976|
|Designated NJRHP||November 25, 1975|
Lambert Castle, originally called Belle Vista, is located within the Garret Mountain Reservation in Paterson, Passaic County, New Jersey, United States. The building was built in 1892 and was added to the National Register of Historic Places on June 3, 1976.
Lambert Castle was built in 1892 as the home of Catholina Lambert, the owner of a prominent silk mill in the City of Paterson. Constructed in the Medieval Revival architectural style, Mr. Lambert's dream was to build a home reminiscent of the castles in Great Britain that he remembered from his boyhood years. President William McKinley and Vice President Garret Hobart visited the castle in 1898.
After Lambert's death in 1923, his family sold the building to the City of Paterson, which in turn sold it to Passaic County a few years later. Passaic County used the building for administrative offices, and in 1936, provided one room to the fledgling Passaic County Historical Society to serve as its historical museum. As time went by the museum grew, room by room, until the entire first floor became the historical museum.
In the late 1990s, the Castle underwent a multi-million dollar restoration and all four floors of the building were developed into a museum and library.
Construction began on the castle in 1891. The castle was built on the side of the First Watchung Mountain out of sandstone and granite. The sandstone was quarried from the surrounding hills. The initial construction cost was estimated at a half a million dollars. In 1896, an art gallery was added to the castle and a 70-foot observation tower was constructed on the crest of the cliff.
The gallery wing fell into disrepair and was demolished in 1936. The observation tower was open to the public until the late 1960s when it was closed due to disrepair.
In 2014 the Garret Rock Observation tower renovations were completed and the observation tower was reopened to the public. Admission to the tower is free with panoramic views available from the top.
- Great Falls (Passaic River)
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Passaic County, New Jersey
- List of museums in New Jersey
- National Park Service (2009-03-13). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places - Passaic County" (PDF). New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection - Historic Preservation Office. January 10, 2010. p. 19. Retrieved April 29, 2010.
- http://www.lambertcastle.com/lambert_castle_story.htm Accessed April 29, 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lambert Castle (Paterson, New Jersey).|
- Lambert Castle Museum - official site