Belle et Sébastien
|Original title||Belle et Sébastien|
Belle et Sébastien is a novel by Cécile Aubry about a six-year-old boy named Sébastien and his dog Belle, a Pyrenean Mountain Dog, who live in a village in the French Alps close to the Italian border. Sébastien lives with his adopted grandfather, sister, and brother, as his mother, a Romany, died after giving birth to him while trying to cross the border on Saint Sebastian's day. The novel, known in English-speaking countries as Belle and Sebastian, was made into a French live-action television series in 1965, a Japanese anime version nearly two decades later and a motion picture in 2013, followed by a sequel in 2015.
Belle et Sébastien (1965–1970)
The novel was filmed in France as live action in black and white. The BBC dubbed it into English, and anglicized the title to "Belle and Sebastian", and it became a favourite on children's television, shown a few times.
The serial spawned two further 13 part colour film sequels 'Sebastien parmi les Hommes' (Sebastien Among Men) (1968) retitled 'Belle, Sebastian and the Horses' by the BBC and 'Sebastien et la Mary-Morgane' (Sebastian and the Mary Morgan) (1970) this second sequel was not broadcast by the BBC.
Meiken Jolie (1981)
The anime version, released initially under its Japanese name of Meiken Jolie, was created in 1980, a joint production of MK Company, Visual 80 Productions and Toho Company, Ltd., with animation director Toshiyuki Kashiwakura helming the project and character designs from Shuichi Seki. The show was broadcast on French, Italian and Japanese television in 1981, with American cable network Nickelodeon picking it up in 1984.
Belle et Sébastien (Motion Picture 2013)
In 2013 the novel was filmed again by director Nicolas Vanier (Original Title: Belle et Sébastien) targeting a family audience, but placing it at the French-Swiss border (Haute-Maurienne-Vanoise) in 1943 and adding a storyline about fugitives crossing the mountains to the child-friendly boy-befriends-dog story.
Belle et Sébastien: l'aventure continue (Motion Picture 2015)
- Aubry, Cécile (1965). Belle et Sébastien. Hachette. p. 184.
- Bergan, Ronald (2010-07-30). "Cécile Aubry obituary". Guardian (London). Retrieved 2010-08-14.
- Perrone, Pierre (2010-07-31). "Cécile Aubry: French actress who went on to create the much-loved children's TV series 'Belle et Sébastien'". Independent (London). Retrieved 2010-08-14.
- Strong, Martin Charles (2004), The Great Rock Discography: Complete Discographies Listing Every Track Recorded By More Than 1200 Artists, Canongate U.S., p. 122, ISBN 1-84195-615-5
- Wilson, Dave (2005), Rock Formations: Categorical Answers to How Band Names Were Formed, Cidermill Books, p. 105, ISBN 0-9748483-5-2
- "French film star Cecile Aubry dies at 81". BBC. 2010-07-21. Retrieved 2010-08-14.
- "Meiken Jolie" (1981)
- Belle et Sébastien: l'aventure continue