Belle and Sebastian (Japanese TV series)
|Belle and Sebastian|
Cover art from the DVD release
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Keiji Hayakawa|
|Studio||MK Company, Visual 80, Toho Company, Ltd.|
|Original run||April 7, 1981 – June 22, 1982|
Belle and Sebastian (名犬ジョリィ Meiken Jorī, Jolie the famous dog) is an anime adaption of the novel Belle et Sébastien by French author Cécile Aubry. The series ran on the Japanese network NHK from April 7, 1981 – June 22, 1982. It consists of 52 episodes and was a co-production of MK Company, Visual 80 Productions and Toho Company, Ltd.. Toshiyuki Kashiwakura was the head writer and character designs were by Shuichi Seki. The show was broadcast on French and Japanese television in 1981, with American cable network Nickelodeon picking it up in 1984. In the United Kingdom, it aired on Children's BBC in 1989 and 1990.
This anime used many staffers from Nippon Animation's World Masterpiece Theater franchise, thus the look and feel is similar to that of a WMT production even though Nippon Animation itself was not involved with this series.
The series is about the mountain-based adventures of a young boy named Sebastian and his Pyrenean mountain dog, Belle, who live in a small village in France. He has no friends because he is teased by the other children for not having a mother. But one day, he meets a gentle white dog who has been falsely accused of terrible crimes. He names her Belle and they become the best of friends. To save her from an unjust fate, he leaves his adoptive family and begins traveling with her and his little dog, Poochie. They have many adventures as they elude the police and search for his long-lost mother.
- Sebastian is a 7-year-old boy from a French village near the mountains. Since he was born, he has been living with his adoptive grandfather, Cecil, and Anne-Marie. He is good-natured and energetic, but the children in town tease him because he doesn't have a real mother. Sebastian's deepest desires are to find his mother and to have a good friend.
- Belle ("Jolie" in the Japanese version) is a large white Great Pyrenee who escaped into the French countryside. She is gentle and warmhearted, but her attempts to help those in need are misunderstood. She is labeled "The White Monster" and the police are constantly on her tail.
- Poochie is a little puppy who rides around in Sebastian's pocket. Although Poochie is always yapping and getting into mischief, he is a good friend to Sebastian and Belle.
- Cecil took Sebastian in as a baby and acts as his adoptive grandfather. He is a loving mentor who teaches him all he knows about the mountains and the wilderness.
- Anne-Marie is Cecil's biological granddaughter. She has helped care for Sebastian since he was born, and fancies herself as his mother despite being the age of an older sister at best. She loves him deeply, but is often overprotective and a little harsh.
- Isabel is Sebastian's real mother, a traveling Romani. She went against the gypsy code and married an outsider, but he died before Sebastian was born. She had him secretly in the mountains, and promised to come back for him one day when her people were able to understand.
- Sarah is a sick, lonely little girl living in Spain who Sebastian meets on his journey. Both long for friends their own age to play with, so they quickly become close. We find out during the series that she celebrates her 9th birthday. Her father is a very rich man who gives her everything she can possibly desire, yet the only thing that can make Sarah happy is to have a truly good friend. She reappears several times during his journey to lend a helping hand. During the course of the series, a romantic bond forms between Sebastian and Sarah, and it is strongly implied that the two of them married when they grew up and lived happily ever after, with Belle still at their side.
- Doctor Alexander Phillips
- Dr. Phillips is a local doctor in the village where Sebastian lives, he's also Anne-Marie's boyfriend.
- Mister Albert
- Mr. Albert is Sarah's father, a rich man, well respected in the community, and doesn't like dogs. He slowly becomes fond of Belle and Poochie after they help Sarah to get well with her sickness.
- Robert and Maria
- Robert and Maria are servants at the home of Mr. Albert. Robert is the butler and sometimes chauffeur, while Maria is the housekeeper.
- The Carlos Company
- The Carlos Company is a band of gypsies whom Sebastian's mother, Isabel, is traveling with.
- Hernandez and Fernandez
- Hernandez and Fernandez are a reoccurring duo of crooks that are trying to capture Belle for a quick rise to fame, fortune, and popularity.
- Oscar and Johnny
- Oscar is a traveling performer that uses his feats of strength by breaking chains wrapped around his body. Johnny is Oscar's son and also is a performer, but not in strength. His ability is that of balance and agility.
- Inspector Garcia
- Inspector Garcia is an officer of the Spanish Police and is always hot on the trail of Belle and Sebastian. He is heavy-set and has a thin mustache.
- Officer Martin
- Officer Martin is the Inspector's assistant and a very clumsy man.
- Commander Costello
- Costello is the head of the Spanish Border Guards and has a strong resemblance to Fidel Castro.
|#||Episode Name||Original air date|
|1||"Belle Meets Sebastian"
"走れ！ ピレネーに向かって" (Hashire! Pirēne ni mukatte)
|April 1, 1981|
|2||"The Hunt for Belle"
"避難小屋の謎" (Hinangoya no nazo)
|3||"A Night in the Mountains"
"Iwayama no ichiya" (岩山の一夜)
|4||"The Journey Begins"
"Unmei no dai chōyaku" (運命の大跳躍)
"Mitsuyu koya karano dasshutsu" (密輸小屋からの脱出)
|6||"A Visit to Jail"
"Kiki sukū chīsa na te" (危機救う小さな手)
"Inu kirai no keiji" (犬嫌いの刑事)
|8||"A Promise to Sarah"
"Yūhi no ōtaki kudari" (夕陽の大滝下り)
|9||"Farewell to Sarah"
"Sayonara no okurimono" (さよならの贈り物)
|10||"The Case of the Missing Sheep"
"Bokujō no dorobō taiji" (牧場の泥棒退治)
"Kuzure kojō no bōken" (崩れ古城の冒険)
"Kae tama daisakusen" (替え玉大作戦)
|13||"The Runaway Car"
"Hoshizora no Shanderiya" (星空のシャンデリヤ)
|14||"An Act of Bravery"
"Yūki aru sōsaku" (勇気ある捜索)
|15||"Billy the Kid Bank Robber"
"Ginkō gyangu no yūjō" (銀行ギャングの友情)
|16||"The Old Man By the Sea"
"Ojī-san no umi" (おじいさんの海)
|17||"Phantoms on a Ship"
"Rokuni atta yūreisen" (陸に上った幽霊船)
|18||"Smuggled on Board"
"Nigedase hatsu kōkai" (逃げ出せ初航海)
|19||"The Secret of the Castle Ghost"
"Yūrei no sumu kojō" (幽霊の棲む古城)
|20||"The Ghost's Revenge"
"Yūrei no gyakushū" (幽霊の逆襲)
"Nin sarai no wana" (人さらいのわな)
|22||"Chased by the Desperados"
"Kesshi no hijōsen toppa" (決死の非常線突破)
"Mei hanji notakurami" (名判事のたくらみ)
"Mama wo shitteru tejinashi" (ママを知ってる手品師)
|25||"Meeting at the Mountain"
"Hashire! mama no motoni" (走れ！ママのもとに)
"Sukāfu ni takushita saikai" (スカーフに託した再会)
"Honō no nakano ma inu" (炎の中の魔犬)
|28||"Building a New Home"
"Chīsa na oyakata dai katsuyaku" (小さな親方大活躍)
|29||"Belle and Sebastian are Separated"
"Ūnmei no tansen ressha" (運命の単線列車)
|30||"It's a Boy!"
"Kusari no mama no tōbō" (くさりのままの逃亡)
|31||"Reunited at Last"
"Dakuryū wo koete" (濁流をこえて)
|32||"When Johnny Comes Marching Home"
"Mama no shashin" (ママの写真)
|33||"Sebastian Loses His Best Friend"
"Uragitta Jorī" (うらぎったジョリィ)
|34||"Come Back to Me!"
"Modore boku no teni" (もどれぼくの手に)
|35||"One Mistake After Another"
"Oni keibu to bijin hikōshi" (鬼警部と美人飛行士)
"Mōdoku gahisomuhora ana" (猛毒がひそむほら穴)
|37||"The Big Sleep"
"Tobe! kibō no sora he" (飛べ！希望の空へ)
|38||"Mom Didn't Forget Me"
"Mama ha, yappari suteki dana" (ママは、やっぱり素敵だな)
|39||"Don't Drink the Water"
"Shieranebada no warui mizu" (シェラネバダの悪い水)
|40||"Belle is Captured"
"Bōreadōra no kyōfu" (ボーレアドーラの恐怖)
|41||"Help! Save Belle"
"Jorī dakkaisakusen" (ジョリィ奪回作戦)
|42||"Make New Friends and Keep the Old"
"Yomigaetta yūjō" (よみがえった友情)
|43||"On a Train Bound for Battle"
"Pirēne chōtokkyū" (ピレネー超特急)
|44||"The Underground Railroad"
"Okashina dai ressha sakusen" (おかしな大列車作戦)
|45||"A Kind Inspector Garcia"
"Tanjō pātī de dasshutsu sakusen" (誕生パーティーで脱出作戦)
|46||"Climbing a Wall of Stone"
"Pirēne ōiwa kabe" (ピレネー大岩壁)
|47||"A Storm Brews"
"Dai arashi no mae bure" (大嵐の前ぶれ)
|48||"A Snowy Reunion"
"Arashi no naka no saika" (嵐のなかの再会)
|49||"The Devil's Corridor"
"Akuma no kairō no dai nadare" (悪魔の回廊の大なだれ)
|50||"Belle Risks Her Life"
"Utagai hare te" (うたがい晴れて)
|51||"Mom Makes Up Her Mind"
"Mama no kesshin" (ママの決心)
|52||"A Happy Ending"
"Pirēne no aoi sora" (ピレネーの青い空)
|June 22, 1982|
- 名犬ジョリィ. NHK (in Japanese). Retrieved 2009-07-12.
- Schine, Cathleen (October 30, 1988). "From Lassie to Pee-Wee". The New York Times. Retrieved 2010-08-14.
- "French film star Cecile Aubry dies at 81". BBC. July 21, 2010. Archived from the original on 23 August 2010. Retrieved 2010-08-14.
- Weber, Bruce (July 24, 2010). "Cécile Aubry, Actress and Writer of Children's Stories, Dies at 81". The New York Times. Archived from the original on December 21, 2013. Retrieved 2010-08-14.