Bellingham High School (Washington)
|Bellingham High School|
|2020 Cornwall Ave Bellingham, WA 98225|
|School district||Bellingham School District|
|School number||(360) 676-6575|
|Number of students||1228 (2007)|
|Color(s)||Red, Black, & White|
|Mascot||Big Red, Red Raider|
Bellingham High School is a public high school in the Bellingham School District located in Bellingham, Washington. The school serves students primarily from the Whatcom Middle School and Kulshan Middle School attendance areas.
Bellingham High School was dedicated on February 25, 1938. It cost $912,028.63 and took 417,026 man hours to build.
The school was closed for two years starting in June 1998 for a massive renovation which involved gutting the entire building and even demolishing some portions. Special care was taken to preserve the art deco facade on the west side of the building.
From its inception the school mascot was the "Red Raider", a native American Indian chief with a massive war bonnet. In the years leading up to the school's renovation there were several occasions where questions were raised about the political correctness of such a mascot. Tradition won out until the school district seized upon the opportunity presented by the two year closure and renovation to change the mascot. Upon the school's reopening the Indian chief had changed to a bird of prey.
For much of the 2009-2010 school year Bellingham High School housed eighth graders from Whatcom Middle School after their school burnt down on November 5, 2009.
Bellingham High School offers a curriculum including Advanced Placement courses and other classes to prepare students for college, as well as offering the Running Start program which allows students to complete their high school diploma and earn college credit by attending Bellingham Technical College and/or Whatcom Community College.
Bellingham, competing in the Washington Interscholastic Activities Association's Northwest Conference, participates in thirteen varsity sports: baseball, basketball, cross country, fastpitch, football, golf, gymnastics, soccer, swimming, tennis, track, volleyball, and wrestling.
Bellingham offers students a wide variety of activities and clubs including Band, BAM, Cheerleading, Chess Club, Choir, Color Guard, Dance Team, Debate, DECA, Drama Club, Engineering Club, Environmental Club, FBLA, German Club, Gay/Straight Alliance, Honor Society, IAM, Key Club, Literary Arts Magazine, Math Team, Orchestra, Stage Crew and production, Teen Court, and Yearbook.
- Stephen S. Oswald, NASA astronaut.
- John Lee Malvo, American terrorist.
- Kevin Richardson, Major League Baseball player.
- Steve Alvord, National Football League player.
- Harriett Davenport, Los Angeles, California, City Council member, 1953–55
- "Bellingham Public Schools School Attendance Areas". Retrieved 2010-12-06.
- "Bellingham High School Souvenir Pamphlet and Dedication Program, 1938" (PDF). Retrieved 2010-12-06.
- "Bellingham High School Course Catalog (2011)" (PDF). Retrieved 2010-12-08.
- "Bellingham High School Athletics". Retrieved 2010-12-08.
- "Northwest Conference Athletics, Bellingham High School". Retrieved 2010-12-08.
- "Bellingham High School Activities". Retrieved 2010-12-08.
- NASA Stephen S. Oswald biography
- NESA Distinguished Eagle Scout Award list