|Birth name||Benjamin Paul Bruce|
31 October 1988 |
Ashford, Kent, England
|Origin||Dubai, United Arab Emirates|
|Genres||Metalcore, hard rock|
|Occupation(s)||Singer, guitarist, fashion designer|
|Associated acts||Asking Alexandria, Danny Worsnop|
Ben Bruce (born 31 October 1988) is an English musician. He is the lead guitarist and backing vocalist of metalcore band Asking Alexandria. Bruce co-founded the band with ex-lead vocalist Danny Worsnop. He is also a manager of a music label called 'KBB', along with Asking Alexandria's manager Kyle Borman, and runs his own clothing brand as fashion designer and owner called 'Ben Bruce Clothing'. He also intends to release a solo album later this year through Sumerian Records.
2006–present: Asking Alexandria
Bruce originally formed the band in Dubai, United Arab Emirates in 2006. The band's original line up consisted of completely different members compared to that of the band's lineup from 2008. The band released their debut album titled 'The Irony in Your Perfection'. After realizing he wouldn't be able to achieve international success in Dubai, he moved back to England, Nottingham in 2008 and reassembled the band with new members from the local area, including lead singer Danny Worsnop, of which he had moved into his flat apartment in York. He carried the name over due to not wanting to bother to come up with a brand new name, so he stuck with the old one. When asked why he chose that particular name, he explained that "'Most bands have a pretty shit band name, so I just came up with something. I came up with Alexandria as a human name, because people relate to humans." although the reason for using the word 'asking' is not explained.
The band released their first official debut album titled Stand Up and Scream in 2009 via Sumerian and Victory records, produced by Joey Sturgis. Although it didn't chart in the UK, it did chart in the US, peaking at; 4 in the Top Heatseekers, 24 in the Top Hard Rock Albums and 29 in the Top Independent Albums. The bands second album, titled Reckless and Relentless, was released in 2011 via Sumerian records, which again featured Joey Sturgis. This time, the album did chart in the UK, peaking at 7 on the UK Rock Chart, and also charted in Australia at 30 on the Australian Albums Chart. They released their third album, titled From Death to Destiny in 2013 via Sumerian Records and peaked in the US at 5 and the Top Hard Rock Albums at 1, and also charted in the UK at 28 and in Australia at 11, making it their most commercially successful album to date.
Bruce announced that he would start recording his first album as a solo artist on 6 January 2014, after Danny Worsnop's open involvement with both Asking Alexandria, his solo album, and his latest project We Are Harlot. When interviewed by Artistdirect's Rick Florino, Bruce stated that he had recorded his solo album when asked about the direction it is leaning into he responded with "There's nothing really heavy about it. There are a few classic rock 'n' roll tunes on there. Really, it's a lot of softer rock stuff." and compared it to Keane or Oasis, going on to say that it is a more of a chilled rock album, he also stated that he is the primary vocalist of the album and has eased off the guitar duties for this particular album. In January 2015, Danny Worsnop stated that Bruce has completed his album and will be releasing it that same year.
In March 2014, Ben Bruce was revealed as a featured artist on the cover compilation album of Florence + The Machine, released by Sumerian Records, of which he covered the single Shake It Out. When Rocksound queried on the sound of the solo album, Bruce stated that he'd describe it as "Chilled out. I'd honestly liken it to Keane, Robbie Williams and Oasis." and further stated that he finds Robbie Williams to be his main influence. It was also revealed that the album will be released through Sumerian Records later in 2015.
2011–present: BB Clothing
Bruce started his own clothing line originally in 2011 and existed as an online business, separated from official merchandise associated with Asking Alexandria. Ben Bruce remained inactive on the project after 27 June 2013, the last date which he added new designs to his brand, but released a statement that more designs will be released in the following year.
2014–present: KBB Records
In March 2014, it was announced that Ben Bruce, along with Asking Alexandria's manager, Kyle Borman, had launched a record label called 'KBB', and had signed a rap metal band called 'Scare Don't Fear'. The band themselves decided to sign with KBB due to other record labels requesting them to change their style of music, while Ben Bruce expressed that he didn't want anything to change in their sound and to maintain it instead, giving the band more freedom in their creativity.
It was revealed later that month that Caroline Records will be in a distribution partnership with KBB Records. The label's first release and the bands debut album, 'From the Ground Up', was released on 17 June the same year. In May the same year, it was revealed that metal band 'The Family Ruin' had also been signed and added to the roster and will be releasing an album later the same year.
When he was asked why he created the label in the first place, he explained that he loved every aspect of music and wanted to be further involved in the music industry whether it's writing it, performing it, or helping other bands, and explained that it initially started with "...groups of my friends starting bands and asking for my help to manage them. I thought, "Wouldn't it be great if I could actually help bands that I think are worthy of being helped and deserve to be somewhere more than just giving them advice?""
- Current roster
- Scare Don't Fear (2014–present)
- The Family Ruin (2014–present)
Ben Bruce was born in London, England on 31 October 1988 but moved to Dubai when he was 6 due to his father having difficulty in finding work and believed the school systems were terrible, so decided to move his family to Dubai, which also included Ben's sister and his mother. He would later move back to England in 2008 at age 19 in order to gain recognition in the music industry, which he would gain after forming Asking Alexandria.
Ben Bruce started playing the electric guitar at the age of 12 after being inspired by metal bands like Metallica and Iron Maiden. Instead of learning the acoustic guitar first, he insisted on playing the electric guitar first, and would learn songs by ear. Bruce has stated that some of his favourite records consisted of: Metallica's Kill 'Em All for its raw and aggressive sounds, Guns N' Roses' Appetite for Destruction for the same reasons, and Slipknot's debut album of the same name as it was the album that influenced him into more extreme metal genres.
- Asking Alexandria
Collaborations and other songs
|"Discovering Oceans" (featuring Ben Bruce)||2013||City in the Sea||Below the Noise|
|"Overcast" (featuring Ben Bruce)|
|"Shake It Out" (Florence and the Machine cover)||2014||Ben Bruce||Florence + The Sphinx: Sumerian Ceremonials – A Tribute to Florence + The Machine|
|Ben Bruce||2011||Altpress' Guitarist of the Year||Won||—|
|2012||Guitar World's Top 12 Hot Male Guitar Players for 2012||Won||11|
|Kerrang! Awards Hottest Male||Won||—|
|2013||Kerrang! Awards Hottest Male||Won||—|
|2014||Kerrang! Awards Hottest Male||Nominated||—|
|2015||Metalhammer Golden Gods Dimebag Darrell Shredder||In progress||N/A|
- Wiederhorn, Jon. "Interview: Asking Alexandria". Guitarworld.com. Guitar World. p. 2. Retrieved 27 June 2014.
Realizing he would never achieve international recognition in Dubai, Bruce moved on his own to Nottingham, England, in 2008, and after searching the internet for musicians found guitarist Danny Worsnop.
- "Interview with ben Bruce of Asking Alexandria". Independentphilly.com. Independent Philly. Retrieved 27 June 2014.
- "Asking Alexandria Stand Up and Scream credits". Allmusic.com. AllMusic. Retrieved 27 June 2014.
- "Asking Alexandria chart history". Billboard.com. Billboard. Retrieved 27 June 2014.
- "Asking Alexandria Reckless & Relentless credits". Allmusic.com. AllMusic. Retrieved 27 June 2014.
- "2011 Top 40 Rock & Metal Albums Archive 16th April 2011". Officialcharts.com. Official Charts. Retrieved 27 June 2014.
- "Asking Alexandria – Reckless & Relentless (Album)". Australian-charts.com. Australian-charts. Retrieved 27 June 2014.
- "Asking Alexandria chart history". Officialcharts.com. Official Charts. Retrieved 3 July 2014.
- "Asking Alexandria – From Death To Destiny (Album)". Australian-charts.com. Australian-charts. Retrieved 3 July 2014.
- Sweeney, Zachary. "Ben Bruce of Asking Alexandria To Begin Work on Solo Record". Infectiousmagazine.com. Infectious Magazine. Retrieved 27 June 2014.
- Florino, Rick. "Interview: Ben Bruce of Asking Alexandria Talks KBB Records, Solo Album, and More". Artistdirect.com. Artistdirect. Retrieved 27 June 2014.
- McLaughlin, David (February 2015). "The Sounds Of 2015: We Are Harlot" (MAGAZINE ARCTICLE). Rocksound (196): 44. Retrieved 9 January 2015.
- Crane, Matt. "Sumerian Records announce Florence + The Machine cover album, stream three covers". Altpress.com. Altpress. Retrieved 15 June 2014.
- Kelham, Andrew (March 2015). "Bruce Almighty". Rocksound (197) (Rocksound). Rocksound. Retrieved 4 March 2015.
- Sweeney, Zachary. "Ben Bruce (Asking Alexandria) To Launch 2014 Clothing Line". Infectiousmagazine.com. Infectious Magazine. Retrieved 27 June 2014.
- Childers, Chad. "Asking Alexandria Guitarist Ben Bruce Launches New KBB Records Label". Loudwire.com. Loudwire. Retrieved 1 April 2014.
- "Scare Don't Fear talk Ben Bruce & New Album w/ @RobertHerrera3". Punkvideosrock.com. Punk Videos Rock. Retrieved 3 July 2014.
|last1=in Authors list (help)
- Gargano, Paul. "KBB RECORDS Announce Partnership With CAROLINE – Scare Don't Fear release date set". Urbanheromagazine.com. Urban Hero Magazine. Retrieved 27 June 2014.
- "Scare Don't Fear From The Ground Up". MTV.com. MTV. Retrieved 27 June 2014.
- Whitt, Cassie. "The Family Ruin (KBB Records) – "Let It Burn" song premiere". Altpress.com. Altpress. Retrieved 27 June 2014.
- "KBB Records Artists". Kbbrecords.com. KBB Records. Retrieved 27 June 2014.
- Bruce, Ben (30 October 2013). "Finally my fucking birthday" (TWITTER TWEET). Twitter. Ben Bruce. Retrieved 1 April 2014.
Finally my fucking birthday....I'm ollllld now :p
- Doyle, Thomas. "Ben Bruce" (INTERVIEW). Kerrang.com (1548) (Kerrang! Magazine). Kerrang!. p. 24. Retrieved 20 December 2014.
I'm 26 now and I don't want to join the 27 Club of dead rockstars...
- Gruenberg, Elliott. "Interview – Asking Alexandria [Ben Bruce] // Blessthefall". Est1987.co.uk. Est1987. Retrieved 27 June 2014.
I do like going back to York, because even though I'm from London I did live in York for a long time with the guys, so yeah.
- "INTERVIEW: Asking Alexandria’s Ben Bruce". Iheartguitarblog.com. Iheartguitarblog. Retrieved 1 April 2014.
- Florino, Rick. "Big 3 Records: Ben Bruce of Asking Alexandria Big 3 Records: Ben Bruce of Asking Alexandria". Artistdirect.com. Artistdirect. Retrieved 27 June 2014.
- "Ben Bruce Biography". IMDB.com. IMDB. Retrieved 1 April 2014.
- Oosthuizen, David. "Interview with Ben Bruce of Asking Alexandria" (INTERVIEW). Undergroundpress.co.za. Underground Press. Retrieved 3 August 2014.
I'm married, so I like to get home and chill out with my wife and my dogs.
- "City in the Sea Below the Noise". Allmusic.com. AllMusic. Retrieved 27 June 2014.
- Zaleski, Annie. "2011 Guitarist of the Year". Altpress.com. Altpress. Retrieved 27 June 2014.
- Whitmore, Laura. "Guitar Girl'd: Top 12 Hot Male Guitar Players for 2012". Guitarworld.com. Guitar World. Retrieved 27 June 2014.
- "The Kerrang! Awards 2012 – all the winners". Musicweek.com. Music Week. Retrieved 27 June 2014.
- "The Kerrang! Awards 2013 – all the winners". Musicweek.com. Music Week. Retrieved 27 June 2014.
- "Relentless Kerrang! Awards 2014 Winners List". Kerrang.com. Kerrang!. Retrieved 3 July 2014.
- "Dimebag Darrell Shredder". http://goldengods.metalhammer.co.uk/. Metalhammer. Retrieved 25 March 2015.