|Origin||Tacoma, Washington, United States|
|Genres||Post-hardcore, heavy metal, noise rock, country|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, record producer, audio engineer, entrepreneur|
|Instruments||Bass, guitar, drums|
|Associated acts||Harkonen, Roy, These Arms Are Snakes, Helms Alee|
Verellen's first role was as bassist of the Tacoma post-hardcore/noise rock group Harkonen which formed in 1995. Harkonen released their debut album in 1999 through Wreck-Age before signing to Hydra Head Records in 2001. The group's final release was Like a Virgin—a split release with These Arms Are Snakes— before disbanding in 2005.
He formed the country music/folk rock band Roy as a side project in 2002 with his brother Dave Verellen and Brian Cook. The group released two studio albums and a few EPs and has been inactive since 2006.
Verellen performed additional bass on These Arms Are Snakes' debut album Oxeneers or the Lion Sleeps When Its Antelope Go Home, and was also briefly a touring drummer in 2005 until he abruptly quit without explanation and was quickly replaced by Chris Common.
In 2000, Verellen began working as an audio engineer for many local Washington bands in his basement. He later earned a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering, and started his own business building and selling guitar amplifiers called Verellen Amplifiers.
As band member
- Harkonen (1999)
- Grizz (2001)
- Shake Harder Boy (2002)
- Dancing (2003)
- Like a Virgin (2005)
- Tacomatose (2003)
- Big City Sin and Small Town Redemption (2004)
- Killed John Train (2006)
With Helms Alee
- Helms Alee (2008)
- Night Terror (2008)
- Weatherhead (2011)
- Sleepwalking Sailors (2014)
- Stillicide (2016)
With Constant Lovers
- Experience Feelings (2014)
As guest musician
Year Band Album Role 2004 These Arms Are Snakes Oxeneers or the Lion Sleeps When Its Antelope Go Home Additional bass 2006 Botch 061502 Backing vocals 2009 Pelican What We All Come to Need Guest bass 2009 Narrows New Distances Additional vocals
Year Band Album Role 2005 Valis Champions of Magic Engineer 2006 The Plains Boy in the Mansuit Mixing, vocal engineer 2006 The Vows Vows Engineer 2006 Mastodon Blood Mountain Assistant engineer 2006 The Helm Grim Harvest Engineer, mixing 2007 Champion Different Directions Engineer, mixing 2007 Lozen Enemies Against Power Engineer 2008 Mamiffer Hirror Enniffer Engineer 2009 John Spalding Loveland: The Beautiful Truth Engineer 2009 The Nightgowns Sing Something Tracking 2009 Narrows New Distances Producer, engineer
- Cook, Brian (May 21, 2008). "The Business of Booming: Ben Verellen's Basement Amp Factory". The Stranger. Index Newspapers. Retrieved August 19, 2011.
- Kergan, Wade. "Harkonen – Biography". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved August 19, 2011.
- Mason, Stewart. "Roy – Overview". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved August 19, 2011.
- "Ben Verellen – Credits". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved August 19, 2011.
- "For The Record: Quick News On Jessica Simpson, Hilary Duff, Maroon 5, Kanye West, U2, Fantasia & More". MTV. MTV Networks. August 2, 2005. Retrieved August 19, 2011.
- Zwickel, Jonathan (December 5, 2008). "Metal band Helms Alee sees imperfection as a good thing". The Seattle Times. Archived from the original on August 4, 2011. Retrieved August 19, 2011.
- New Distances (CD liner notes). Narrows. Deathwish Inc. 2009. DWI77.