His most famous sculpture is his Sankt Göran och Draken (Saint George and the Dragon) for the Storkyrkan in Stockholms Gamla stan. An exact copy of this sculpture is at St. Catherine's Church in Lübeck. The statue had been commissioned by the Swedish regent Sten Sture the Elder, to commemorate Sture's victory over King Christian I of Denmark in the 1471 Battle of Brunkeberg.
middle section of "Århustavlen", Denmark
- Hans Georg Gmelin. "Notke, Bernt." In Grove Art Online. Oxford Art Online, (accessed January 11, 2012).(subscription required)
- Hartmut Krohm (1999), "Notke, Bernt", Neue Deutsche Biographie (NDB) (in German), 19, Berlin: Duncker & Humblot, pp. 359–361; (full text online)
- Kerstin Petermann: Bernt Notke. Arbeitsweise und Werkstattorganisation im späten Mittelalter. Berlin: Reimer 2000, ISBN 3-496-01217-X.
- Media related to Bernt Notke at Wikimedia Commons
- Entry for Bernt Notke on the Union List of Artist Names
|This article about a German painter is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a German sculptor is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|