This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (September 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Birth name||Bethany Joy Adelsberger|
|Born||September 22, 1988|
Bethany Dillon (born Bethany Joy Adelsberger on September 22, 1988) is a Contemporary Christian music artist. In 2008, she married contemporary Christian recording artist Shane Barnard of Shane & Shane and has started to release music under the name Bethany Barnard.
Bethany started playing guitar at age 10, with Jennifer Knapp serving as an early influence. Dillon's musical career began at age 13, recording an independent album, Vulnerable, that ended up in the hands of EMI executive Brad O'Donnell. Audiences connected with her first record almost immediately, and the results included several hit singles, multiple Dove nods, critical acclaim, and an exponentially increasing grassroots fan base that propelled her career forward in great leaps.
Her self-titled debut album, released in 2004, was the highest selling female solo debut album for the year and attracted GMA nominations for both Female Vocalist and New Artist of the Year. The radio single All I Need reached the number one position on the U.S. charts.
Ed Cash teamed up with Dillon yet again to produce an eleven-track album, all of which were written or co-written by Dillon. The result was her 2007 album, Waking Up released on April 3. "Waking Up is the most joyful record I've made," Bethany explains, "even though it revolves around themes of brokenness and this feeling of being really, really small in the presence of God. When the Lord is growing something in me, it feels like a lot of things are dying—because they really are. And when the Lord is making things soft and vulnerable in me, it's really painful. But even so, I think this is the freest sounding project I've created."
Co-produced by GMA's 2005 producer of the Year Ed Cash, as well as Will Hunt and John Alagia (John Mayer, Dave Matthews Band), Waking Up embraces big questions of suffering, barrenness, vulnerability, romance, and faithfulness. Like the writers Bethany has modeled herself after, she proves herself willing to live and create in that place of ambivalent tension that inevitably comes from refusing to settle for easy, feel-good answers. And yet, like the psalmist, Bethany has a penchant for finding the redemption in the midst of the pain.
Dillon appears on the Music inspired by the Chronicles of Narnia soundtrack, singing "Hero". One track from Imagination, entitled "Dreamer", is featured in the end credits for the film of the same name (Dreamer starring Kurt Russell and Dakota Fanning). A music video was created for this song, using clips from the film. Dillon also has a track on the Bridge to Terabithia soundtrack album, although her song - "When You Love Someone" - is not heard in the film.
In 2016, Dillon and her husband Shane Barnard released the song "Covenant" on YouTube alongside a fundraising campaign for the recording of a new studio effort to be launched independently in 2017 under her new stage name, Bethany Barnard. On February 10, 2017, she independently released A Better Word.
- Bethany Dillon (2004)
- Imagination (2005)
- Waking Up (2007)
- So Far: The Acoustic Sessions (2008)
- In Christ Alone: Modern Hymns of Worship (with Matt Hammitt) (2008)
- Stop & Listen (2009)
- A Better Word (2017)
|The Beautiful Sessions (released February 11, 2004)
|Connect Sets (released December 13, 2005)
|Top Five Hits: Bethany Dillon (released December 5, 2006)
|To Those Who Wait (released March 16, 2012)
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Album|
|US Christian Songs
|"All I Need"||2004||4||—||Bethany Dillon|
|"Lead Me On"||27||—|
|"O Come, O Come Emmanuel" (digital only)||14||—||—|
|"God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen"||2005||—||—||WOW Christmas: Green|
|"All That I Can Do"||24||—||Imagination|
|"The Kingdom"||2007||—||—||Waking Up|
|"Let Your Light Shine"||—||—|
|"When You Love Someone"||28||—||Music from and Inspired by Bridge to Terabithia|
|"Everyone to Know"||2009||44||—||Stop & Listen|
- 2004 - Simply Great Music - "Great Big Mystery" (from Bethany Dillon)
- 2004 - WOW Hits 2005 - "All I Need" (from Bethany Dillon)
- 2005 - Every Young Woman's Battle - "Exodus (Faithful)" (from Bethany Dillon)
- 2005 - Music Inspired by The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe - "Hero"
- 2005 - WOW Hits 2006 - "All That I Can Do" (from Imagination)
- 2005 - WOW Christmas: Green - "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen"
- 2005 - Night of Joy 2005 - "Vagabond" (from Imagination)
- 2006 - Pursue Me - Jason Holdridge - "Word of Fire," "Psalm 29," "The Story"
- 2006 - Unexpected Gifts: 12 New Sounds of Christmas - "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen"
- 2006 - WOW Worship: Aqua - "Holy Is The Lord"
- 2006 - Sing Over Me: Worship Songs and Lullabies - "How Great Is Our God", "Sing Over Me" (with Nichole Nordeman), "Unwavering"
- 2007 - Music Inspired by the Motion Picture Amazing Grace - "All Creatures of Our God and King" (with Shawn McDonald)
- 2007 - Music from and Inspired by Bridge to Terabithia - "When You Love Someone" (from Waking Up)
- 2007 - WOW Hymns - "All Creatures of Our God And King" (with Shawn McDonald)
- 2007 - Worship Together Favorites - "Holy is the Lord"
- 2008 - The Daraja Children's Choir of Africa - "Everlasting God"
- 2009 - You'll Be Whole - Lindsey Kane - "It Is Well" duet with Lindsey Kane
- 2009 - Glory Revealed II: The Word of God in Worship - "Never" with Shawn Lewis
- 2011 - Lift Up the Light - Oaks Worship - "I Want Your Presence"
- 2011 - The Music of a Movement (Reach Records) - "You Alone" Tedashii ft. Bethany Dillon
- 2013 - War In the Waiting - Oaks Worship - "Amazing Grace"
GMA Dove Awards
|2005||New Artist of the Year||Nominated|
|Female Vocalist of the Year||Nominated|
|Pop/Contemporary Album of the Year (Bethany Dillon)||Nominated|
|2006||Female Vocalist of the Year||Nominated|
- Bethany Dillon Bio - ChristianMusic.com Retrieved 2018-05-28.
- niNe. magazine, August/September/October 2006
- "Profile". Last.fm. Retrieved September 25, 2013.
- Free Bethany Dillon Music Online, Music Downloads, Music Videos and Lyrics - Rhapsody Online Archived February 27, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Bethany Dillon Graces Cover of August '05 CCM Magazine @ Top40-Charts.com - 40 Top 20 & Top 40 Music Charts from 25 Countries". Top40-charts.com. Retrieved September 25, 2013.
- Jackson, Kevin (August 1, 2007). "Bethany Dillon Engaged to Shane Barnard of Shane & Shane". The Christian Post. Archived from the original on July 22, 2012. Retrieved May 30, 2018.CS1 maint: Unfit url (link)
- Bethany Barnard (September 27, 2016), Covenant by Bethany Barnard, retrieved October 23, 2016
- "Jesusfreakhideout.com: Bethany Barnard, "A Better Word" Review". Retrieved February 18, 2017.
- "Bethany Dillon Christian Songs chart". Billboard magazine. Retrieved October 27, 2013.
- "Bethany Dillon Adult Contemporary chart". Billboard magazine. Retrieved October 27, 2013.
- 37th Annual GMA Awards Nominations and Winners Archived July 7, 2011, at the Wayback Machine. on About.com; Jones, Kim