|• Body||Village panchayat|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
Bhigwan is a small town on the border of Pune and Solapur district in Central Maharashtra, India. It is located on the Pune-Solapur Highway around 105 km from Pune on the backwaters of Ujani dam. Bhigwan is famous for birdwatching, especially flamingo and wildlife photography. It is also known as mini Bharatpur.
At Bhigwan, many kinds of Ducks, Herons, Egrets, Raptors and Waders along with flocks of hundreds of flamingos can be seen. Variety of birds at Bhigwan gives of sighting of almost all the prime bird species there and also creates great photographic opportunities for wildlife photographers. At times, 1,000-1,200 flamingos are seen. The low rains and low water level has now reduced the number of flamingos over some years. It is a favourite spot for migratory birds, with more than 230 species found here. One can also see painted storks, barheaded geese, demoiselle cranes, etc. These birds can be seen in the winter season between December and March. The bird generally migrates via marine routes and adult females depart from the breeding grounds.,
The backwaters of Ujjani Dam is wintering home for list of migratory birds such as Greater Flamingo, Eurasian Spoonbill, Bar Headed Goose, Collared Pratincole and the Osprey, bird of prey. Bhigwan is also home to the fastest bird of animal kingdom - the Peregrine falcon.
Kumbhargaon and Diksal are two most popular Flamingoes watching spots in Bhigwan but the both places are located in opposite direction from the main town.
Visitors can travel to Bhigwan by the State Transport Buses bound for Solapur and onwards from Pune, which takes approximately 3.5 hours, or travel in their own vehicle.
One can also travel via Train from Pune, There is a list of trains stop at Bhigvan (BGVN) such as Chennai mail, Pune Sur Demu, and Hyderabad Exp. etc.
Best time to Visit
The best time to visit Bhigwan is between the months of November and March.
- "1 Day Birdwatching and Photography at Bhigwan". Mumbai Travellers.
- "Bhigwan low on flamingos this year". Pune Mirror.
- "Bhigwan is a new flock-spot for birding near Mumbai". Mid Day.
- "Bird watching at Bhigwan – famous for flamingos - Places near Pune and Mumbai". placesnearpune.com.
- "Birders at Bhigwan get a rare treat - Pune Mirror". Pune Mirror.
- YAZDANI, G. and SINGH, D., 2002. Zool. Surv. India. "Wetland Ecosystem Series No. 3 Fauna of Ujani" 143-156, 2002. FAUNA OF UJANI, p.143,
- The Best Time to Visit Bhigwan - A Paradise of Birds