|Member of the Alabama Senate|
from the 63rd district
|Assumed office |
|Preceded by||Robert J. Bentley|
|Education||University of Alabama (BS, JD)|
Early life and career
Poole graduated from the University of Alabama in 1997 with a bachelor's degree in business management. He then attended the University of Alabama School of Law, graduating in 2004. Out of law school, he took a job as a civil attorney with Tuscaloosa, Alabama. He became a city attorney and prosecutor for Brookwood, Alabama, and also worked for the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America and as a staff assistant to the House Ways and Means Committee in the United States House of Representatives.
In 2010, Poole ran for the Alabama House of Representatives seat for District 63 which was represented by Robert J. Bentley, who was not running for reelection so that he could run for Governor of Alabama. Poole defeated attorney John Fisher for the Republican Party nomination, and Democratic professor Susan Pace Hamill in the general election.
In 2013, House Speaker Mike Hubbard appointed Poole as chair of the House Ways and Means Education Committee. Following Hubbard's criminal conviction in 2016, Poole considered running for Speaker, though he opted against it. After Donald Trump announced that he selected United States Senator Jeff Sessions of Alabama to become United States Attorney General, Bentley considered appointing Poole to the position.
- Writer, Stephanie Taylor Staff. "Newcomer will fill Bentley's seat". Retrieved April 26, 2017.
- Editor, Tommy Stevenson Associate. "Tuscaloosa attorney to run for House seat". Retrieved April 26, 2017.
- Editor, Tommy Stevenson Associate. "Bill Poole takes District 63 Republican nomination". Retrieved April 26, 2017.
- "Rep. Bill Poole of Tuscaloosa named new chairman of House education budget committee". Retrieved April 26, 2017.
- "Bill Poole won't run for Alabama House speaker". Retrieved April 26, 2017.
- Writer, Drew Taylor Staff. "Poole interviews for Sessions' Senate seat". Retrieved April 26, 2017.
- "Demopolis city attorney Bill Poole suffers gunshot wound - The Demopolis Times". Retrieved April 26, 2017.