Black Stone Cherry
|Black Stone Cherry|
Black Stone Cherry performing in San Antonio in 2014
|Origin||Edmonton, Kentucky, United States|
|Genres||Hard rock, Southern rock|
|Associated acts||The Kentucky Headhunters, Cavo, Airbourne|
John Fred Young
Black Stone Cherry is an American hard rock band, formed in 2001 in Edmonton, Kentucky. They are signed to Roadrunner Records. The band consists of Chris Robertson (lead vocals, lead guitar), Ben Wells (rhythm guitar, backing vocals), Jon Lawhon (bass guitar, backing vocals), and John Fred Young (drums, backing vocals). Black Stone Cherry have released four studio albums: Black Stone Cherry (2006), Folklore and Superstition (2008), Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea (2011) and Magic Mountain (2014), as well as three EPs, and have charted eight singles on the US Mainstream Rock Tracks charts.
2001–04: Formation and early years
Black Stone Cherry originated in Edmonton, Kentucky. Chris Robertson and John Fred Young, son of The Kentucky Headhunters's rhythm guitarist Richard Young, started to play music together early in their teens and were soon joined by Wells and Lawhon. Black Stone Cherry officially formed on June 4, 2001. They then took over the practice house that had been used by The Kentucky Headhunters since 1968 and began to record tracks. They also began holding shows at clubs in the area, and after a short while they gained a large following of people of all ages in the town. In 2003 on Black Stone Cherry Records the band released their first demo on CD called Rock N' Roll Tape.
2005–07: Black Stone Cherry
The band's first self-titled album was released in May 2006. After the band finished recording, they returned to Edmonton, invited by their former school principal, for a homecoming gig in the gym of the local middle school, which was attended by 1500 people. As the band entered the town, the streets were filled with people holding "welcome home" signs.
In July 2007, they released a second recording, an EP which contained the song "Rain Wizard" along with two previously unreleased tracks.
Their first live album was released on October 31, 2007. It was recorded at the Astoria in London, and copies were sold to the crowd immediately after the concert. The album is a strictly limited edition, and as of January 2013 mint copies were selling for £200 on Amazon.
2008–09: Folklore and Superstition
On August 19, 2008, Black Stone Cherry released their second album, entitled Folklore and Superstition. Four singles from the album, "Blind Man," "Please Come In," "Things My Father Said," and "Soulcreek" were released.
2010–12: Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
Their third album Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea was released on May 31, 2011. The album was produced by Howard Benson. The first single was titled "White Trash Millionaire" and was released at the end of March. The band was nominated for classic rock award in 2011.
The band supported Alter Bridge alongside Theory of a Deadman on a tour of Europe lasting from October to November 2011. Cavo co-headlined a tour with Black Stone Cherry in February 2012 with Rains as support. The band also headlined their own UK tour (which sold out) supported by Rival Sons. They opened for Chickenfoot on their American tour in the spring of 2012.
2013–present: Magic Mountain
Black Stone Cherry opened for Lynyrd Skynyrd and Bad Company on their co-headlining tour. The band headlined the second stage at Download Festival in June 2013. The band recorded a new album in fall 2013, through early 2014. Magic Mountain was released on 6 May 2014, reaching number five in the UK albums chart. The first single is "Me and Mary Jane." The single along with a selection of Black Stone Cherry's hits, exclusive acoustic tracks, and exclusive live tracks from Download Festival 2013 featured on a special CD: "Black Stone Cherry - Hits, Rarities & Live" which came as bonus content with the June 2014 edition of Classic Rock Magazine. Black Stone Cherry headlined a UK tour with Airbourne and Theory of a Deadman in October 2014, and after that a European tour including Denmark and Germany was done.
Until February 2015 there will be a break in the band's touring due to private circumstances, except a one-off home show in December 2014 in Kentucky. A US tour beginning February 2015 and the European festival season summer 2015 is scheduled including another headline appearance on Download's second stage and some supporting dates at smaller venues in the UK and Ireland.
- Chris Robertson - lead vocals, lead guitar
- Ben Wells - rhythm guitar, backing vocals
- Jon Lawhon- bass guitar, backing vocals
- John Fred Young - drums, percussion, piano, backing vocals
- Studio albums
- Black Stone Cherry (2006)
- Folklore and Superstition (2008)
- Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea (2011)
- Magic Mountain (2014)
- "entertaim.net: interview with John Fred Young". entertaim.net. Retrieved 2014-10-16.
- "Buying Choices: London Astoria- 31St October 2007". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-05-09.
- "Black Stone Cherry Gigography, Tour History". Songkick. Retrieved 2014-05-09.
- "Black Stone Cherry : CD cover photograph". Img.photobucket.com. Retrieved 2014-05-10.
- [dead link]
- "Rock Access – Rock News » Black Stone Cherry Announce Tour With Cavo". Rockaccess.net. 2011-12-16. Retrieved 2014-05-09.
- "Hevypetal". hevypetal.com. Retrieved 2014-05-09.
- "Rock Access – Rock News » Black Stone Cherry To Tour With Lynyrd Skynyrd". Rockaccess.net. 2013-03-04. Retrieved 2014-05-09.
- "INTERVIEW: Black Stone Cherry | Download Festival 2014". Downloadfestival.co.uk. 2013-06-16. Retrieved 2014-05-09.
- [dead link]
- "Rock Access – Rock News » Smashing Pumpkins & Bush. Nothing More. And More". Rockaccess.net. 2014-03-26. Retrieved 2014-05-09.
- "Black Stone Cherry, Shinedown, Halestorm and Highly Suspect – UK dates (2016)". Moshville Times. 2015-06-10. Retrieved 2015-06-10.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Black Stone Cherry.|