|Birth name||Matthew Jehu Samuels|
|Also known as||Boi-1da|
October 12, 1986 |
|Origin||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|Instruments||Keyboard, drum machine, sampler|
|Labels||Boi-1da Productions, OVO Sound, Warner|
|Associated acts||Bizzle, Lecrae, Drake|
Matthew Jehu Samuels (born October 12, 1986), professionally known as Boi-1da (// boy-WON-da), is a Canadian hip-hop producer from Toronto, Ontario. He has produced for artists and groups such as Clipse, The Diplomats, Drake, Eminem, Jay Z, Joe Budden, G-Unit, Nicki Minaj, k-os, Das Racist, Lecrae, Nas, Bizzle, Talib Kweli, Saukrates, Kendrick Lamar, Meek Mill and Chris Brown among others. He significantly collaborates with other producers who co-produce on his tracks, including The Maven Boys, Stephen Kozmeniuk, Vinylz and Allen Ritter, among others.
Early life and career
Born in Kingston, Jamaica, Samuels moved to Canada when he was three, and grew up in the North York and Scarborough districts of Toronto. He was also raised in Ajax, Ontario, where he currently resides. At the age of eight, his mother bought him a Casio keyboard, and at the age of 15, a friend had introduced him to FL Studio (formerly Fruity Loops). Without any formal musical training, he started using the FL Studio beat-making program. A few years later, he won three consecutive Battle of the Beatmakers championships; because of this accomplishment, he was given a spot in the Battle of the Beatmakers judging panel.
While Boi-1da is known to use samples in his productions, he often incorporates live instrumentation and an air horn sound effect (more commonly used in dancehall and reggae). He currently uses FL Studio 12 to make beats, previously, he used Fruity Loops 3.56, 7 XL and 9. Boi-1da was influenced by producers such as Dr. Dre, Swizz Beatz, Timbaland, and The Neptunes.
Dr. Dre appeared on the remix of "Set It Off" by Kardinal Offishall, produced by Boi-1da. In an interview with FLOW 93.5, Boi-1da revealed that he was working on beats for Dr. Dre's highly anticipated album, Detox, which was to be released in 2011. Unfortunately, the album was indefinitely shelved, and none of the released or leaked tracks by Dr. Dre featured Boi-1da's production. He had since stated that he was working with songwriter Sean Garrett and has submitted tracks for Usher. He's also working on Busta Rhymes' upcoming album, Extinction Level Event 2.
Boi-1da produced the hit song "Not Afraid", by Eminem, which premiered April 29, 2010; and "hahahaha jk?", from Das Racist's debut album Sit Down, Man, which was released September 2010.
In April 2011, Boi-1da was confirmed to be working on Drake's second album, Take Care, which was released November 15, 2011.
Boi-1da has worked with the rapper Lecrae on his song "Gimme a Second" from his mixtape Church Clothes. He has also collaborated with the rapper Bizzle for his album titled The Good Fight, released in May 7, 2013. He is also a member of Drake's October's Very Own with Noah "40" Shebib and T-Minus.
Boi-1da produced "Party Favors" for Tinashe for her sophomore studio album, Joyride. The single features Young Thug.
On January 8, 2016, Kanye West released a song titled "Real Friends" in which he credits Boi-1da for the sample.
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Certifications||Album|
|"Set It Off"
(Kardinal Offishall featuring Clipse)
|2008||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||Not 4 Sale|
|"Best I Ever Had"
||So Far Gone|
(Drake featuring Kanye West, Lil Wayne & Eminem)
|8||2||1||99||26||—||41||—||—||42||More Than a Game|
|"4 My Town (Play Ball)"
(Birdman featuring Drake & Lil Wayne)
||Thank Me Later|
(Drake featuring Lil Wayne)
||Thank Me Later|
|"Speakers Going Hammer"
|—||47||24||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||The DeAndre Way|
(Bizzle featuring Jin)
|2011||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||Tough Love & Parabels|
(Waka Flocka Flame featuring Nicki Minaj, Tyga & Flo Rida)
|2012||72||62||25||—||58||—||—||—||—||—||Triple F Life: Friends, Fans & Family|
|—||49||50||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||Welcome to: Our House|
|"Turn 'Em Away"
|—||31||23||—||—||—||—||—||—||107||Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded – The Re-Up|
(Nicki Minaj featuring Lil Wayne)
|"No New Friends"
(DJ Khaled featuring Drake, Rick Ross & Lil Wayne)
||Suffering from Success|
(Bizzle featuring Sevin)
|—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||The Good Fight|
|"I'm a Christian"
|"0 to 100 / The Catch Up"
|"The Blacker the Berry"
|2015||66||32||16||—||—||—||—||—||—||83||To Pimp a Butterfly|
(Rihanna featuring Drake)
|"—" denotes a recording that did not chart or was not released in that territory.|
Awards and nominations
ASCAP Pop Music Awards
The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) hosts a series of awards shows, honoring people in different music categories; pop music is one of its seven categories. In 2011, Drake presented the award to him and 40, They both won the ASCAP Pop Music Award for the Songwriters of the Year for "Over".
|2011||"Over"||Songwriters of the Year (with Noah "40" Shebib)||Won|
|2010||"Best I Ever Had" (Drake)||Best Rap Song||Nominated|
|2011||"Not Afraid" (Eminem)||Nominated|
|Recovery (Eminem)||Album of the Year||Nominated|
|2015||"0 to 100 / The Catch Up" (Drake)||Best Rap Song||Nominated|
|To Pimp a Butterfly (Kendrick Lamar)||Album of the Year||Nominated|
- Boi-1da [Interview] HipHopCanada. Accessed on November 25, 2009.
- Jackson, Kevin (2014) "Ja's Wonder Boy", Jamaica Observer, March 28, 2014. Retrieved March 29, 2014
- Featured Producer: Boi-1da Archived June 25, 2008, at the Wayback Machine. HipHopCanada. Accessed on July 28, 2008.
- Boi-1da Exclaim!. Accessed on November 18, 2010.
- Dr. Dre Raps On Leaked Remix Of Kardinal Offishall's 'Set It Off' MTV. Accessed on January 22, 2009.
- Specials : Wrap Up Pt.5 MuchMusic. Accessed on January 22, 2009.
- FEATURE: Boi-1da, A Star Is Born Archived February 25, 2010, at the Wayback Machine. XXL. Accessed on October 2, 2009.
- "KANYE WEST on Twitter". Twitter.
- "Bizzle f. Jin "Forgive Me [Prod. Boi-1da]"". Hip Hop DX. Cheri Media Group. March 17, 2011. Retrieved July 5, 2013.
- "Bizzle - Turn'em Away (Prod. by Boi-1da)". Rapzilla. Philip Rood and Chad Horton. September 12, 2012. Retrieved July 5, 2013.
- "Bizzle - My Confession ft. Sevin (Prod. by Boi-1da)". Rapzilla. Philip Rood and Chad Horton. April 30, 2013. Retrieved July 5, 2013.
- "Bizzle - I'm a Christian (Prod. by Boi-1da & The Maven Boys)". Rapzilla. Philip Rood and Chad Horton. May 10, 2013. Retrieved July 5, 2013.
- "Drake Honors Boi-1da and Noah 40 Shebib at ASCAP Awards [Video]". Rap-Up.
- "Grammy Nominations 2016: See the Full List of Nominees". Billboard. Retrieved April 1, 2016.