|Boris Alexandrovich Fogel|
Oil portrait of Boris A. Fogel,
by Anatoly Husiatyn (1946)
January 18, 1872|
Buynaksk, Russian Empire
|Died||1961 (aged 88–89)
|Education||Repin Institute of Arts|
|Known for||Painting, Teaching|
Boris Alexandrovich Fogel (Russian: Борис Александрович Фогель) (January 18, 1872, Buynaksk, Russian Empire – 1961, Leningrad) was a Russian and Soviet painter and art educator, who lived and worked in Leningrad, a member of the Leningrad Union of the Soviet Artists, professor of painting of the Repin Institute of Arts, who played an important role in the formation of the Leningrad school of painting,
Boris Alexandrovich Fogel was born January 18, 1872, in Buynaksk on North Caucasus. His father, a career military colonel, had spent most of his life involved in campaigns for the conquest of the Caucasus. His mother, née Olga Flovitskaya, was a close relative of the artist Konstantin Flavitsky.
In 1880, after the death of his father, Boris moved with his mother to Tbilisi. While studying in high school, he engaged in drawing at the private studio of Sergei Yefimovich Zakharov. In 1891 Fogel moved to Moscow, where he joined the medical faculty at Moscow University. Concomitantly he continued his studies in painting, additionally benefiting from the advice of known artists Vasily Polenov, Vladimir Makovsky, Konstantin Korovin, and Sergei Korovin. He was then, for about a year, engaged in the private studio of Leonid Pasternak.
In 1896 Fogel lived and studied in Paris. After returning to Saint Petersburg, Fogel joined the Imperial Academy of Fine Arts, where he studied under the tutelage of Ilya Repin and P. O. Kovalevsky. In 1902 he graduated as an artist of painting, his graduate work named «An Evening». From 1934 until his death Fogel taught at the Repin Institute of Arts. He was a member of the Leningrad Union of Artists.
- Nikolai Baskakov
- Evgenia Baykova
- Irina Baldina
- Vladimir Chekalov
- Nadezhda Shteinmiller
- Nina Veselova
- Abram Grushko
- Maria Rudnitskaya
- Alexei Eriomin
- Igor Veselkin
- Leonid Kabachek
- Lev Orekhov
- Maya Kopitseva
- Boris Korneev
- Alexander Koroviakov
- Marina Kozlovskaya
- Elena Kostenko
- Sergei Lastochkin
- Anatoli Levitin
- Andrei Mylnikov
- Mikhail Trufanov
- Ruben Zakharian
- and others
- Leningrad School of Painting
- List of 20th-century Russian painters
- List of painters of Saint Petersburg Union of Artists
- Saint Petersburg Union of Artists
- Центральный Государственный Архив литературы и искусства. СПб. Ф.78. Оп.3. Д.67. Л.16.
- Sergei V. Ivanov. Unknown Socialist Realism. The Leningrad School. Saint Petersburg, NP-Print Edition, 2007. P.356-360, 362, 367, 368, 371—373, 389, 392.
- Sergei V. Ivanov. Unknown Socialist Realism. The Leningrad School. Saint Petersburg, NP-Print Edition, 2007. P.357—360, 362, 364—366, 368, 371—373, 382, 384, 387, 398.
- Центральный Государственный Архив литературы и искусства. СПб. Ф.78. Оп.3. Д.67.
- Выставка произведений ленинградских художников 1951 года. Каталог. — Л: Лениздат, 1951. — с.21.
- Весенняя выставка произведений ленинградских художников 1953 года. Каталог. — Л: ЛССХ, 1953. — с.8.
- 1917 — 1957. Выставка произведений ленинградских художников. Каталог. — Л: Ленинградский художник, 1958. — с.33.
- Осенняя выставка произведений ленинградских художников 1958 года. Каталог. — Л: Художник РСФСР, 1959. — с.28.
- Sergei V. Ivanov. Unknown Socialist Realism. The Leningrad School. Saint Petersburg, NP-Print Edition, 2007. P.19, 358, 381, 386, 397, 442. ISBN 5-901724-21-6, ISBN 978-5-901724-21-7.