Boris Gershevich Moishezon (Russian: Борис Гершевич Мойшезон) (October 26, 1937 – August 25, 1993) was a Soviet mathematician. He left the Soviet Union in 1972 for Tel Aviv, and in 1977 moved to Columbia University, where he was a professor of mathematics until his death sixteen years later. He was a Guggenheim Fellow in 1983.
- Complex surfaces and connected sums of complex projective planes. Lecture Notes in Mathematics. 603. Springer Verlag. 1977.
- with Richard Mandelbaum: "On the topological structure of simply-connected algebraic surfaces". Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 82: 731–733. 1976. doi:10.1090/s0002-9904-1976-14136-5. MR 0413135.
- "Some estimates in the topology of simply-connected algebraic surfaces". Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 83: 741–744. 1977. doi:10.1090/s0002-9904-1977-14376-0. MR 0440567.
- with Richard Mandelbaum: "On the topology of simply-connected algebraic surfaces". Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 260: 195–222. 1980. doi:10.1090/s0002-9947-1980-0570786-6. MR 570786.
- with Mina Teicher: Moishezon, B; Teicher, M (1986). "Existence of simply connected algebraic surfaces of general type with positive and zero indices". Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 83 (18): 6665–6666. doi:10.1073/pnas.83.18.6665. PMC . PMID 16593754.
- with Robert Friedman and John W. Morgan: "On the C∞ invariance of the canonical classes of certain algebraic surfaces". Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (N.S.). 17: 283–286. 1987. doi:10.1090/s0273-0979-1987-15561-3. MR 903733.
- Saxon, Wolfgang (August 27, 1993). "Boris G. Moishezon, Columbia Professor Of Math, Dies at 55". The New York Times. Retrieved August 24, 2011.
Boris G. Moishezon, a mathematics professor at Columbia University who defected from the Soviet Union in 1972 and came to the United States five years later, died Wednesday. He was 55 and lived in Leonia, N.J. Dr. Moishezon had a heart attack while jogging and was pronounced dead in Holy Name Hospital in Teaneck, N.J., said his wife, Natalia.
- "Boris Moishezon, Mathematician, 55". The Columbia University Record. 19 (1). September 3, 1995. Retrieved August 24, 2011.
- Bukhshtaber, V.M.; Novikov, S.P. (1995). "Boris Gershevich Moishezon (obituary)". Russian Mathematical Surveys. 50 (3): 613–614. doi:10.1070/RM1995v050n03ABEH002565.
|This biography of an American academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an American mathematician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|